Bike to charge phones

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Lemne

Bike to charge phones

Post by Lemne »

I have no idea if this is actually possible or not. I can't have solar or wind. Would it be possible to rig up the indoor bike/exercise bike to charge a portable power bank. I would then use this to charge up my phone in a SHTF situation.

This is what I have but have no idea where to start?

EasyAcc Power Bank
Capacity: 12000mAh 44.4WH
Input: 5V 1500mA
Output: 5V 500-2100mA
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Bike to charge phones

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lemne wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:12 am I have no idea if this is actually possible or not. I can't have solar or wind. Would it be possible to rig up the indoor bike/exercise bike to charge a portable power bank. I would then use this to charge up my phone in a SHTF situation.

This is what I have but have no idea where to start?

EasyAcc Power Bank
Capacity: 12000mAh 44.4WH
Input: 5V 1500mA
Output: 5V 500-2100mA
Far less energetic method... It can hang in a window

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30W-Solar-Pa ... Sw095fM1Pj

If your bike is belt drive sure you could cobble a second pully to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Crank-P ... SwL7VfBvNT

But be warned your going to have to do an enduro ride....

Simple explanation

Most charger inputs into usb power banks are rated and limited at 1a .... So to charge a 2000mah battery pack it's going to need 2 and a bit hours cycling as charging is not 100% efficient) if it's shoving 1a of charge. 10,000mah 10 hours+.......
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I read an article on this - apparently it's just possible to charge a mobile phone off a dynamo hub but nothing more. I'm not sure how long it would take to charge a power bank.

Here's an intro article:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-hub-dynamo-system/

There was also a pedal-operated emergency power system on the market a while ago, can't remember what it was called. Someone will know.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The solar is a simpler method,for sure. I don't profess to know the technical details of mobile phone networks for a moment.However,it strikes me that if the power goes down ( Big Style,not just a local powercut), then mobile phones won't be a lot of use,as the relay masts need power to operate. I am sure someone will enlighten me.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Might be an interesting read
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/05 ... ators.html
It's not saying that it is impossible but does make one aware of the problems involved.
Just to add a question , how long are phones going to be active in a SHTF situation and if it's a localised short lived situation wouldn't an extra or external battery suffice as well as not keeping it turned on all day long?
daylen

Post by daylen »

It can certainly be done but humans just don't generate a lot of power. Pro cyclists on the tour de France generate around 200W-300W on average over a 4 hour stage.

That seems a lot but I'm guessing you're not a Tour-level cyclist?! Us mere mortals would average around 100W. And that's considerable effort.

Add in all the inefficiencies from the low tech article linked previously and you might be able to get 40W usable into the battery. Still, that's good usable power but that's all burning food calories.

I think as a SHTF backup then perhaps it's got some use for lower power devices such as radios but I'd want to explore other options first personally.
korolev

Post by korolev »

jansman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:47 pm The solar is a simpler method,for sure. I don't profess to know the technical details of mobile phone networks for a moment.However,it strikes me that if the power goes down ( Big Style,not just a local powercut), then mobile phones won't be a lot of use,as the relay masts need power to operate. I am sure someone will enlighten me.
Very few cell sites have battery or generator backup. Most telephone exchanges have both.

In a SHTF situation landlines are more likely to work.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

In a SHTF situation landlines are more likely to work.
I've just ordered an old fashioned non electric corded phone for that reason.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Amateur radios would be much more reliable... and with online exams now, even easy to get licenced
jansman

Post by jansman »

To be honest,if the phone network goes,then it will be game over.We will all be at home living locally.If mobiles dont work,even better.Folks will have to look up from their screens and...speak face to face.imagine such a thing! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.