What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Arzosah »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:26 pmClearing the kitchen table of used plantpots etc - once it's disinfected, the craft and haberdashery kit is coming out. When the tiddly projects like face masks and bags for putting clothes straight in the washing machine are done, I fancy using up my material stash to make a nightie. I might have to adapt a dress pattern, as there only seem to be pyjamas on offer (I have JL vouchers from survey-answering). I saw a pattern that also has a kimono type thing, and I'm going to put pockets on the inside and make it like a gilet, so that if I had to leave the house, I'd be carrying stuff that wouldn't be noticed. Just an idea at the moment, it may come to nothing.
My quest to be both crafty and efficient continues. All my craft and haberdashery stuff is now on the disinfected kitchen table, and has sparked ideas for condolence cards, which I've run out of :( . JL turned out to be useless for nightie patterns, and expensive anyway, though kimono patterns could be made into a gilet.

Result! I can use my Amazon vouchers (also from survey answering) for a caftan pattern to make a nice loose nightie. And I have a dressing gown, made of jumbo cord, that my mum made for me when I moved into a shared house (shared with boys!!!! horror!!!) in my 2nd year at college. I never wore it much, but its *really* well made, and I could cut it down into a gilet, make some pockets on the inside of it. At worst, it never gets used and I can wear it round the house in springtime or whatever. Very pleased :)

And now for the Asda delivery...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Car full of junk to the tip what would usually take 20mins took an hour as have to line up and letting 7 cars on site at a time......

Restocked on lpg for BBQ / camp stove

Refilled 20l water containers do it twice a year ISH last did it just before Christmas still smelt fresh as the day it was bottled.....

Garden got a bit of attention ready for the coming week of thunderstorms loose stuff stashed away and secured ...

Bled brakes on the car fluid to be replaced every 4 years. So bought a fancy suction bleeder made life easy

Next job finish the wife's car mot prep mobile mechanic sided with me that the rear tyres were cracked over the "there load of tread on them" from swmbo got 2x maxxis all seasons for it her car has a odd size so not much choice ..https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/t ... -ap2-86-h/..

Got some new wipers for it too

Tomorrow is also change smoke alarm batteries day
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

I shall be rotating my water barrels today ( thanks for the reminder Yorkshire Andy!)The water butts need filling,so that will be two jobs in one,done.I am also going to add a couple of washable face coverings to my GHB.Also a small bottle of hand sanitiser.They weigh nowt,and I think will be a fixture in Society for a good while to come.Recharged the small Anker power pack that lives in there too,as you cannot get away from the fact that the mobile/ smartphone is now a piece of standard kit.

Also going to draw up a little shopping list for Home Bargains/ B and M,when I pass them from work.We just did our Tesco online shop,and the tinned items were limited to two of each,abd some not available.Also,has anyone noticed that you seem to be getting less for your money? By that I mean that we have a budget we stick to for the two of us - and it doesn't buy what it used to,even a few weeks ago.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:15 amTesco online shop,and the tinned items were limited to two of each,
WTF???? They kept that quiet!
and some not available.Also,has anyone noticed that you seem to be getting less for your money?
Very definitely. Some monstrous leaps in prices, especially tinned stuff. Asda ready dinners nearly 2 quid a tin. Even 'Princes' tins out of acceptable price range. Value peas and carrots out of stock at 21p, but same size 'standard' quality at 80p or more. Sweetcorn >80p if you can even get it!
I mostly use ASDA.
If ever there was a need for the old mysupermarket site, it's now.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:05 am
jansman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:15 amTesco online shop,and the tinned items were limited to two of each,
and some not available.Also,has anyone noticed that you seem to be getting less for your money?
Very definitely. Some monstrous leaps in prices, especially tinned stuff. Asda ready dinners nearly 2 quid a tin. Even 'Princes' tins out of acceptable price range. Value peas and carrots out of stock at 21p, but same size 'standard' quality at 80p or more. Sweetcorn >80p if you can even get it!
I mostly use ASDA.
Thanks for your reply.'Glad' it's not just me!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:05 am
Not currently experiencing that. Just a total 95 item limit

[EDIT] And WOW! they seem to have eliminated their Everyday Value range and replaced with a very spartan range of Stockwell and Growers Harvest items[/EDIT]

Their FAQ says...
As our stock levels are returning to normal, we’ve removed the purchasing limits on all products in our stores, except for face coverings, which has a limit of 3 units. There’ll also still be a limit of 3 units on online orders of face coverings, antibacterial handwash, antibacterial wipes, flour, and eggs.

Maybe they just don't like you.
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

jansman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:15 am Also,has anyone noticed that you seem to be getting less for your money? By that I mean that we have a budget we stick to for the two of us - and it doesn't buy what it used to,even a few weeks ago.
Yup, my weekly food shop is now more expensive than ever before. Another reason we all prep I guess. Mind you, I haven't seen any limitations yet down south here on stock in the supermarkets but the choice of products is still not back up to pre Covid levels and you still get a few gaps from time to time.

My prepping yesterday involved me harvesting some of my beetroot crop and then upsetting my daughter by stinking the house out by pickling it! I have also been playing about with my vacuum sealer. So basically atm my preps are mainly about food preservation and storage. My dehydrated and then vacuum sealed mushrooms did raise an eye brow with both daughters who informed me that they now look like bags of magic mushrooms - best I label them properly and keep em out of sight in case someone gets the wrong idea :lol:
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

PreppingPingu wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:24 am My dehydrated and then vacuum sealed mushrooms did raise an eye brow
How did you do that? Jar? Vac packed dried mushrooms seem to just crush to dust for me.

PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:37 am
How did you do that? Jar? Vac packed dried mushrooms seem to just crush to dust for me.
They weren't quite as dry as maybe they should be but were pretty much there, (if I was jar storing them, I'd have given them another hour or so in the dehydrator. ) My vacuum dealer has a stop button so I can stop it early, also it has a gentle setting for the more delicate items.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Alan7997

Post by Alan7997 »

I just bought 60 ration packs to supplement my 1 month supply of regular food, plus buying an additional 2 x 25 litre water containers.