What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by diamond lil »

Got more flour, yeast, dried fruit, spices, and next I'm going to do pills and potions for the winter cough and cold season.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Le Mouse wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:25 pm I'm collecting my car tomorrow so I've been doing a bit of driving revision. It's a 30 mile trip back and the first time I will have driven on my own so unsurprisingly I had an anxiety dream last night! :lol: I've downloaded my insurance documents to OneDrive so I can show them on my phone if necessary. I'll make sure I have everything I need packed before I go to bed tonight.

I went to the local supermarket and topped up flour and booze stores :lol: Also picked up some sewing bits and pieces and had the chance to shine my neighbourly halo by telling a lady looking for mask elastic where she can get some online - Plush Addict if anyone is interested :D

I tidied up the storage box under my sofa bed and I think I need to stop buying pasta related things!

Before you drive it home check the fluid levels 😉 and do it again when it's cooled back at home
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:58 pm
Le Mouse wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:20 pm This morning I successfully trimmed my own hair. I had planned on making an appointment with the hairdresser now shielding is over, but he's in town and my last couple of visits to town have put me off again, so I'll stay away and cut my own.
This is a real issue for me. I usually get it done monthly and thought I could cope with 'dishevelled'. Indeed I did without too much stress. I let the OH trim it, but it's now getting me down now, and needs thinning out to keep a scalp condition at bay... Medical emergency :)
I'm booked in for next week, to keep me going for another several months: Taking advantage of a lull before the second wave.
TBH, I'm 5h1tting a brick. Am I crazy to risk 3 lives for this morale boost? My logic head says I'm nuts, but then 6 months of house arrest is a 6 month shortening of my life. Risk reward ratio?
Did you see those two infected hairdressers in Missouri? Had 140 clients and didn't infect anyone. I haven't been - I don't like hairdressers so I chop my own, but the people i know who have been say they felt safe enough. Just do it and wash your hands well when you get out. We have to get on with things to some extent and I think the hairdressers are trying very hard with hygiene measures.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

dizzydays wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:03 pm Did you see those two infected hairdressers in Missouri? Had 140 clients and didn't infect anyone. I haven't been - I don't like hairdressers so I chop my own, but the people i know who have been say they felt safe enough. Just do it and wash your hands well when you get out. We have to get on with things to some extent and I think the hairdressers are trying very hard with hygiene measures.
I did read about one US hairdresser who was infected, but didn't conspicuously spread it through his mask. Emboldened me a bit, though I take all such anecdotes with a pinch of salt.
I've seen some local hairdressers being really careless and just wearing visors. If mine needs telling once to wear mask and visor and gloves, that will be once too much and I'll be out of there like a shot.
I'm still deeply concerned at this decision and might cancel. Born worrier! :tinfoil
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I've done some serious food shopping this week. I just have my Buy Wholefoods to be delivered and then I am set for around 3 months to start. I have a few luxury gaps to fill but thought I'd get the basics first. Next is pills and first aid equipment. I've made a good start but I need to do a list for the chemist for dressings and bandages etc.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

callled at farm foods today after work with the money off vouchers that came yesterday,they must have a warehouse full of toilet rolls as there now down to a price of 72 rolls for £10 so they went into the trolly,spotted the mega boxes of jaffa cakes the kids been asking for so had 3 boxes of them,more tinned meats and veg,another case of pot noddles,3 boxes of crisps(shelf life anit long but in this house that dont matter they soon be gone)and another 2x 5 litres of bleach,i do like farmfoods you can get some good deals there,and the wife just showed me a 1000litre ibc tank going free on the fb market thing she goes on,so got here to ask if i can have it,fingers crossed as it be ideal for collecting rain water off the garage roof...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Got a few bags of sultanas and cranberries from Wholefoodsonline and the use by date is Jan next year. Not happy.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Rusty74 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 pm .........and the wife just showed me a 1000litre ibc tank going free on the fb market thing she goes on,so got here to ask if i can have it,fingers crossed as it be ideal for collecting rain water off the garage roof...
Make sure you know what it was used for...... There are some pretty nasty things shipped in IBC's

Sometimes even the ones used for food products can have interesting properties, curry scented rainwater anyone?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:37 pm
Rusty74 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 pm .........and the wife just showed me a 1000litre ibc tank going free on the fb market thing she goes on,so got here to ask if i can have it,fingers crossed as it be ideal for collecting rain water off the garage roof...
Make sure you know what it was used for...... There are some pretty nasty things shipped in IBC's

Sometimes even the ones used for food products can have interesting properties, curry scented rainwater anyone?
says its clean and was used as a water butt photo looks like it on an allotment,still waiting to hear back off them
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
bobble

Post by bobble »

Been picking berries and making jams and cordials.
Pigeons made a mess of my wheat patch and I've had to harvest it early. Looks like my plan to "grow a loaf" will now be "grow a little bun" instead!