What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

I have been concentrating on restocking consumables like paraffin,seeds,compost,firelighters,chainsaw spares,coal,security light bulbs,etc.etc. A lot has been done online,as like Le Mouse,I am not fond of town right now.

We are ramping up food stocks,as we have noticed that we seem to be getting less for our budget.

Today,Mrs J has been sewing more face masks for friends and family,and I have been splitting yet more logs and kindling.

Tomorrow I am going to counteract the constant stream of bad news by going fishing. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

jansman wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:55 pm Today,Mrs J has been sewing more face masks for friends and family,and I have been splitting yet more logs and kindling.
I'm also making more masks. I need to alter my design as Mum can't wear my current pattern because it ties up at the back of the head and she can't see what she's doing! I've given her a Frankenmask to be going on with which has elastic slightly haphazardly sewn on for ear loops. I have to alter the sides so I can thread elastic through and have it fit without gaping. Never altered a pattern before - it'll be fun! :lol:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Le Mouse wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:20 pm This morning I successfully trimmed my own hair. I had planned on making an appointment with the hairdresser now shielding is over, but he's in town and my last couple of visits to town have put me off again, so I'll stay away and cut my own.
This is a real issue for me. I usually get it done monthly and thought I could cope with 'dishevelled'. Indeed I did without too much stress. I let the OH trim it, but it's now getting me down now, and needs thinning out to keep a scalp condition at bay... Medical emergency :)
I'm booked in for next week, to keep me going for another several months: Taking advantage of a lull before the second wave.
TBH, I'm 5h1tting a brick. Am I crazy to risk 3 lives for this morale boost? My logic head says I'm nuts, but then 6 months of house arrest is a 6 month shortening of my life. Risk reward ratio?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:58 pm
Le Mouse wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:20 pm This morning I successfully trimmed my own hair. I had planned on making an appointment with the hairdresser now shielding is over, but he's in town and my last couple of visits to town have put me off again, so I'll stay away and cut my own.
This is a real issue for me. I usually get it done monthly and thought I could cope with 'dishevelled'. Indeed I did without too much stress. I let the OH trim it, but it's now getting me down now, and needs thinning out to keep a scalp condition at bay... Medical emergency :)
I'm booked in for next week, to keep me going for another several months: Taking advantage of a lull before the second wave.
TBH, I'm 5h1tting a brick. Am I crazy to risk 3 lives for this morale boost? My logic head says I'm nuts, but then 6 months of house arrest is a 6 month shortening of my life. Risk reward ratio?
We have to retain a degree of normality,humanity and dignity.My wife is exactly the same as you.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:04 pm
We have to retain a degree of normality,humanity and dignity.My wife is exactly the same as you.
Yes but.... It's bl00dy selfish. If I bring infection home it would probably cost a life, maybe even my own. I'm inclined to prepare to self isolate for maybe a week as my punishment for this indulgence. OH thinks I'm nuts on so many levels :)
We already agreed isolation protocols for if any of us gets any symptoms: An interesting and somewhat fraught conversation.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:32 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:04 pm
Yes but.... It's bl00dy selfish. If I bring infection home it would probably cost a life, maybe even my own. I'm inclined to prepare to self isolate for maybe a week as my punishment for this indulgence. OH thinks I'm nuts on so many levels :)
We already agreed isolation protocols for if any of us gets any symptoms: An interesting and somewhat fraught conversation.
My wife and I are key workers.We HAVE to work.Commerce HAS to continue,not just for those who have to work either.If the wheels don't turn,anyone who relies on investment for income,pensions,bonds,savings etc. Is stuffed.

As a society,we have to observe the hygiene rules.We cannot hide away,or society as we know it will collapse.

Getting your hair cut may seem risky or selfish and put your family at risk.I work in food.We all have to buy food.Someone has to produce,process and retail that food.Is it selfish to buy that food,as let's face it,those food workers are at risk too.You get the drift.

We have to be careful,but life has to go on.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I've been colouring, bleaching and highlighting Mrs Arwens hair for a long time now, both foil wrap and that bloody cap thing with holes in it and a crochet needle. :roll: Saves us a fortune apparently but she wouldn't trust me with the scissors though. :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Picking beans for the freezer.
Also getting ripped to shreds picking blackberries...... Yes, its still only just August
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

:lol: I last had a professional cut my hair in May 2016 (and sitting up in the chair made me ill for a week, I was *badly* off back then. But the haircut I gave myself during lockdown was the most uneven I've ever done, I don't understand how I got it so wrong! I quite enjoy it now, but honestly! I'm still not going :mrgreen:

Been sorting out what to buy from RealSeeds - had to make a separate list, I wasn't quite sure I could do it in an hour, I was multitasking :D and it disappears if you haven't bought before then.

Carrying on weeding, and hoping the fencer can get to me soon.

Clearing the kitchen table of used plantpots etc - once it's disinfected, the craft and haberdashery kit is coming out. When the tiddly projects like face masks and bags for putting clothes straight in the washing machine are done, I fancy using up my material stash to make a nightie. I might have to adapt a dress pattern, as there only seem to be pyjamas on offer (I have JL vouchers from survey-answering). I saw a pattern that also has a kimono type thing, and I'm going to put pockets on the inside and make it like a gilet, so that if I had to leave the house, I'd be carrying stuff that wouldn't be noticed. Just an idea at the moment, it may come to nothing.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I'm collecting my car tomorrow so I've been doing a bit of driving revision. It's a 30 mile trip back and the first time I will have driven on my own so unsurprisingly I had an anxiety dream last night! :lol: I've downloaded my insurance documents to OneDrive so I can show them on my phone if necessary. I'll make sure I have everything I need packed before I go to bed tonight.

I went to the local supermarket and topped up flour and booze stores :lol: Also picked up some sewing bits and pieces and had the chance to shine my neighbourly halo by telling a lady looking for mask elastic where she can get some online - Plush Addict if anyone is interested :D

I tidied up the storage box under my sofa bed and I think I need to stop buying pasta related things!