What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Medusa

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Medusa »

We have also been reviewing our home security. Husband has "fixed" the old up and over garage door so it cant be opened from the outside, but he needs to do some work on the other door to make that more secure now. Just accepted an estimate for a new metal and composite side gate as the old one is no longer secure with one of those 3 star locks on and we are adding additional security cameras to our current set up. We currently dont have any electric in the garage so that is due to be installed soon so that we can put an additional security light on there too and the spiky hedge we planted at the front of the garden is coming along nicely.
Growing old disgracefully!
Tankford

Post by Tankford »

Dug out the remaining part of my front garden, measured up for the new garden trellis to shape the thorn bushes around the window and repaired a load of external brick work - the frost really hit my front garden wall oddly enough even thugh it is about 30 years old with no previousissues. (Every year I check all brick work and repair any issues on the house and walls.)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

When I got diagnosed with Addisons I was told to get one. An adrenal crisis hits very fast and is lethal, so they tell you if you feel ill to keep checking yr BP. I got the Omron too Arzosah, and what I did was take it down to the doc's - before the virus thing- and compared it with his machine. Very close, so I know mine is working fine.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:59 am When I got diagnosed with Addisons I was told to get one. An adrenal crisis hits very fast and is lethal, so they tell you if you feel ill to keep checking yr BP. I got the Omron too Arzosah, and what I did was take it down to the doc's - before the virus thing- and compared it with his machine. Very close, so I know mine is working fine.
Thanks for this (and to GillyBee about the trending being important in its own right). My blood pressure used to spike *lower* a fair few times - stopped happening once I became properly ill with the chronic fatigue, and I only used it at the GP's that time I mentioned because I was having a day op where some bone was being scraped (arthritis swelling was interfering with the nerves to my arm, yikes, circulation was dying!). BP is more or less normal now, and other things are currently higher up the wish list - power and transport being most noticeable.

PS I've put the Omron onto my Amazon wish list, so I know what I need, thanks again.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I got a great deal on toilet paper (yes, I know - but you can never have enough IMHO :lol: ) from Amazon. 45 rolls of Andrex for £14.00. It's gone up slightly, probably due to the impact of recent decisions on regional lockdowns etc, but it's still a good deal.

https://amzn.to/3ghTdxI
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Doing a lock down prep shop tomorrow morning. Written a list of store cupboard stuff to buy extra of. Did a normal food shop the other day. Some stuff I am fine with such as rice/pasta/flour - got a couple of month's worth of those but it's some of the tinned bits I could do with extra of such as tinned fruit and veg to see us though winter if stocks get low/ lockdowns occure/ Brexit screw everything up. As other have done, thought about gaps in preps such as the luxuries to keep your spirits up! Also stocking up in advance of the winter for batteries as I realised I was almost out of D size the other day when I went to my supplies for some for the battery operated garage light. I also charged up my 2 solar lights to make sure they work still, and they do :)
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

We're hopefully going to have finished our prep shopping tomorrow and will be good for a few months. Just stocking up on light bulbs and batteries this next week. Also need to get some more water containers. It's driving me mad that all the supplies are piled up in out storage units and not on the nice new shelves supposed to be going up in the attic this weekend. The management committee has a structural engineer coming round so don't want anything on show really. I want to get it all set out so I can see properly if I have any gaps. I'm working from a spreadsheet but it's not the same.
intuitive

Post by intuitive »

nothing major for me this weekend but its the coming week and weekends after that which will be time to shine in my operation get ready lol. we was well prepared at home before the first lockdown as id been mentioning it and making sure my partner was altering her shopping so for a good 2 months before we was buying extra food which was longlife and also had a meal plan along with ingredients. we learnt to make meals cheaper and better, change things up...we went onto using longlife milk and havnt used normal since lol. then we went and stocked up on everything each week for month so buy the time it came to it we was just grabbing small amounts and not worrying.

this week we will be doing a big shop again and starting to fill the kitchen, under the bed, under the cot, on top the wardrobe, shelves in the alcove in bedroom...its mayhem as theres no real storage ability in the house we are in...so you have to empty your socks and boxers out to make sure your not walking round with a lemon somewhere it shouldnt be :lol:

also my BOB should be sorted and then the rest of the camping and SHTF scenario equipment will be turning up for the next week and half. happy days...ill be alot more calmer and settled in 2 weeks. however ive come to realise how not so good my local town is for this kind of shopping. :roll:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

intuitive wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:11 pmthis week we will be doing a big shop again and starting to fill the kitchen, under the bed, under the cot, on top the wardrobe, shelves in the alcove in bedroom. ...its mayhem as theres no real storage ability in the house we are in...so you have to empty your socks and boxers out to make sure your not walking round with a lemon somewhere it shouldnt be :lol:
LOL. Is that a courgette in your pocket, or.....
Care to share the make-up of your stash. Always interested in seeing what other folks prioritise and it might give us some reminders.
http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/view ... w+you+mine
http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/down ... &mode=view
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Like most of us, I'll be shopping with another lock-down in mind. More loo rolls, not that I need any, got enough for 6 months, but to have for the rest of the family, who haven't :roll: . Also almost ran out of - of all things- tomato ketchup :oops: so will need to stock up on that , How did that happen, I NEVER run out of stuff, just goes to show how easy it is to miss something thankfully it wasn't of much importance. think I might look for a few birthday/xmas gifts for kids. I've a lot of birthdays coming up at the end of the year as well as xmas, yes I know it's only August but I wonder how easy it will be shop later on and what will be in the shops. Indeed if there's many shops other than the giants left.