Those shielding until a vaccine is found

Medical and Healthcare
cornerstone

Those shielding until a vaccine is found

Post by cornerstone »

could we have a category for those either staying in until a vaccine is found or almost staying in?
Does anyone know of any discussion groups for this? with official shielding ending, I am not that sure of the optimism and have decided to continue on until there is a vaccine, I was not on that list from the government but myself and grown-up son and daughter have underlying conditions that would make it lethal for us.
jansman

Re: Those shielding until a vaccine is found

Post by jansman »

I don't think the boss will set up a section for shielders.However,you have started a thread,so let the input begin.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

jansman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:16 pm I don't think the boss will set up a section for shielders.However,you have started a thread,so let the input begin.
okay, that is alright it was just a suggestion. In the suggestions .
jansman

Post by jansman »

cornerstone wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:22 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:16 pm I don't think the boss will set up a section for shielders.However,you have started a thread,so let the input begin.
okay, that is alright it was just a suggestion. In the suggestions .
My apologies. I dropped in here quickly, and did not check the section. Feel free to start a thread. Perhaps in the medical section? Or general? Anyway, you are welcome.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Come on Cornerstone, get real.

We all know that as soon as shielding stops all the extremely vulnerable people will be fine to do everything that everyone else is doing, It goes on the date, not the fact that average figures in towns and cities for newly recorded infections has roughly doubled since lock down ended. (I've been keeping an eye on recorded cases in certain places) Thats just scaremongering etc etc.

Just in case anyone is in any doubt put a pot under this post and see how much sarcasm drips out :).

It absolutly terrifies me what's gonna happen out of 12 of us who are immeadiate family 5 have had it, we haven't seen them since their wedding in Feb (where I had the honour of walking the bride down the aisle) . 5 of us are high risk with only the children shielded, leaving one of us to organise everyone else's funeral.

Unfortunately we are not in a situation where we can shield indefinately, the kids will have to go back to school at some point and 2 of the remaining 3 have to find new jobs, leaving myself who earns less than dole money but is too stubborn to sign on despite the difficulties I would face doing any kind of manual job.

I'm guessing all we can do is face each situation as it appears, avoid high risk areas as much as possible, take extra precautions like using P3 masks as compared to using P2 in higher risk areas etc
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I've moved this into the medical section seeing as a thread has already, by default, been started. :)
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I am avoiding all shops and people, so thats semi shielding but I am trying to get out when I can for fresh air etc as I suspect a second wave will be arriving in the Autum so trying to 'enjoy' the calm between the storms...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

cbp125 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:03 pm I am avoiding all shops and people, so thats semi shielding but I am trying to get out when I can for fresh air etc as I suspect a second wave will be arriving in the Autum so trying to 'enjoy' the calm between the storms...
Ditto. My situation exactly. Plus stocking up now, as much as I can, so that storecupboard food I'm buying isn't quite so in need of cleaning (ie number of virus particles per square centimetre or whatever is lower than it will be during the 2nd wave. I still clean it really carefully).
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

cbp125 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:03 pm I am avoiding all shops and people, so thats semi shielding but I am trying to get out when I can for fresh air etc as I suspect a second wave will be arriving in the Autum so trying to 'enjoy' the calm between the storms...
Likewise. Mostly shielding as a family until we are in a much lower risk environment, as bringing covid home would likely kill at least one of us.
Every venture to shops or beer garden has to be justified on a risk-reward basis. I'm half inclined to get in one scary hair-dresser visit next month, to prep for another six months of house arrest. Not logical, I know, but risked as a morale booster, while things are not TOO risky. Hmmmmm. Unsure!

I do feel safe outdoors, mostly away from people. Have been to empty beer gardens twice and that was quite a treat. Can't see us in a restaurant, or pub, or fitness class until a vaccine has done it's magic, unless we can be as successful as New Zealand*.

FFP3 masks for rare hit and run on the shops, though home delivery does most things. No joy in shopping, at the moment.

As I see it, we need to embrace what reasonably safe opportunities present themselves (picnic in the country etc) while we can and not just mopse around the house wasting sunny days. In some ways the new normal can be better than the old one. Trading time wasted in Next and Primark for basking in the garden or park. Some days we just go for a drive and park up NEAR the shops :)

Pity those who live in inner cities, and I do so miss hugging friends and family. Missing restaurants, but embracing home cooking more.

But hey ho. We are where we are. Adapt and adopt new ways.

*Whatever happened to the coloured traffic light dashboard thing that the gov came out with with it's status levels. That was supposed to be regional and never seemed to come to anything. Indeed it was quietly sidelined as things re-opened in spite of what the current level dictated.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
gtait

Post by gtait »

Also not on official shielding list but we both have underlying conditions and just into 60's.

OH is probably higher at risk being male.

We have shopped in supermarkets since lockdown ended. Since masks are compulsory in supermarkets here we have found social distancing in supermarkets is not AS observed as it was. The masks are not immunity and the virus is still out there, so we leave if the supermarket is too busy or people not keeping appropriate safe distance.

Did find being cooped up during lockdown became groundhog day and we go out for drives and get a takeout coffee sometimes during these drives. As a treat.