What are you harvesting?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

What are you harvesting?

Post by jansman »

If you are fortunate to have a garden or space to grow vegetables,I have to ask,what are you harvesting at the moment?

We are getting Welsh onions,new spuds,chicory ( we don't bother with lettuce,the chicory is pretty resilient and tastes better),nasturtium leaves and flowers,beet leaves and peas.We also have the perennials,such as rhubarb and the herb bed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Re: What are you harvesting?

Post by Nurseandy »

We have just this very evening had pak choi. Never had it before but seed company sent us pak choi instead of parsnip.
Tbh its nicer raw in a salad than cooked.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Getting a steady trickle of cherry tomatoes now and green chilli peppers. Also getting mange tout peas, strawberries, rhubarb, lettuce and herbs. Courgettes look as if they will start later this week. I have no room to bother with onions or carrots and we are unable to eat spuds so last year's new potato buckets are no longer worth doing.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:29 pm Getting a steady trickle of cherry tomatoes now and green chilli peppers. Also getting mange tout peas, strawberries, rhubarb, lettuce and herbs. Courgettes look as if they will start later this week. I have no room to bother with onions or carrots and we are unable to eat spuds so last year's new potato buckets are no longer worth doing.
Whys that?
I'm just being nosey, so feel free to tell me to rot off.

Last week, gooseberries, raspberries and red currents from a family friends second home garden... They said take what we could find rather then waste the crop.

Our beans are a bit ickle ATM.... Hoping they're going to go crazy like last year, plenty of flowers so they should.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Been picking decent quantities of cherries, raspberries and a few strawberries already and the loganberries have been abundant this year. Black berries look to be ready soon, but gooseberries and red currents are looking poor. Had a couple of stems off the rhubarb last week to clear the way for the newer shoots. Spring onions have been good and we had our first climbing french beans tonight with dinner. Broad beans have been going into the freezer for a couple of weeks now and the radish, lettuce and rocket flying along as always

Greenhouse Toms have been slow to get going this year but showing progress at last, think the sudden hot / cold snap in early May got them confused. Peppers and chilies are starting to show as well, but also slow for the same hot/cold reason I think. First of the spuds (in bags) are laying over now and the onions just starting to turn as well so wont be long.

Apples and plums are looking good for the first time in five years and the horse radish has gone mental, thankfully its in an old dustbin. Melons have taken over the smaller greenhouse and we have had to move the 3rd sowing of lettuce and rocket outside.

Need a bigger garden! What a great time of year.

Did anyone else get caught out by the temperatures in May?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
hobo

Post by hobo »

Waiting for the best but so far....strawberries, raspberries, (tart) blackcurrants, peas, courgettes and broad beans. Lifting my mood tremendously!
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

the spuds have started to flower so will give them another week or so before i pull them up gooseberries,strawberrys and tomatos,thats all iv had the time to grow this year,abit poor really for a gardener/grounds maintance bloke really :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

To answer Rusty's question.
We as a family have had a mixture of long term health issues which culminated in my husband being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. Medication did not agree with him and he was told to expect a wheelchair and lots of pain. A lot of internet research later we did a basic exclusion diet test and founded that he is VERY reactive to wheat. Even walking past a bakery is a problem but avoiding wheat reduced the problems to manageable.
After some more reading we all tried a full gold standard exclusion diet this January. This is not for the faint hearted. You exclude all but a very limited set of safe goods for a week then add in one of two goods a day while watching for reactions. These could be autoimmune flares, sudden weight gain, headaches, tummy troubles etc.
We found that we have 2 of us unable to eat eggs, 3 unable to eat potatoes, 3 unable to eat corn/maize/cornstarch and none of us are OK with wheat. Chicken and beef are also out but dairy is fine.
It was a shock to see the real impact of common goods on our health.
It has made for an interesting world as we come up with new recipes to work round it all and try to adjust the preps.

But it does explain why it isn't worth me growing new potatoes any more.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Sorry not Rusty-ForgeCorvus was the curious one.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:05 pm To answer Rusty's question.
We as a family have had a mixture of long term health issues which culminated in my husband being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. Medication did not agree with him and he was told to expect a wheelchair and lots of pain. A lot of internet research later we did a basic exclusion diet test and founded that he is VERY reactive to wheat. Even walking past a bakery is a problem but avoiding wheat reduced the problems to manageable.
After some more reading we all tried a full gold standard exclusion diet this January. This is not for the faint hearted. You exclude all but a very limited set of safe goods for a week then add in one of two goods a day while watching for reactions. These could be autoimmune flares, sudden weight gain, headaches, tummy troubles etc.
We found that we have 2 of us unable to eat eggs, 3 unable to eat potatoes, 3 unable to eat corn/maize/cornstarch and none of us are OK with wheat. Chicken and beef are also out but dairy is fine.
It was a shock to see the real impact of common goods on our health.
It has made for an interesting world as we come up with new recipes to work round it all and try to adjust the preps.

But it does explain why it isn't worth me growing new potatoes any more.
I get it.My wife is lactose intolerant,and also has an intolerance to eggs.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.