Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Homes and Retreats
Raven

Re: Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by Raven »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:41 pm Nice post above Raven, you seem to have a better understanding of what we are trying to arrange than we do. :lol:

I understand Lone's post and everyone else's. They go to show how many different ideas and views there are on here, an internet forum, just as there would be in any arranged community and as there are in all the communities we currently live in.

We just want to know that our neighbours (That we are going to have anyway) are going to be of a similar inclination to ourselves. We are not desperately seeking some deep meaningful connections. No blood rituals confirming life long allegiances. No pacts written in stone.

It would be nice to have the opportunity of living near other people that we at least had somethings in common with, rather than leaving it all to chance.

And time is indeed running out IMO
Thank you. ;)

I think bonds tend to form with good neighbours. People help each other out naturally...

I know I can be a bit idealistic.
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:07 am My god jansman - a village with 4 churches :shock: My idea of hell :mrgreen: Yer very brave!
I counted them up as I drove through this morning. It’s actually 5! Christadelphian opposite us, Methodist, Baptist ( the one I forgot) Anglican, and Catholic. It’s not so bad now, but when I was a lad, any activities, or youth clubs were always run by one or other of the churches. Half way through playing pool or table tennis, we got a bible lesson!

Some years ago, I was approached to sit on the parish council. I was voted on but lasted two months. Reason being, I objected to a prayer being said before each meeting! Trouble was, a majority of the councillors were members of one church or another. It’s that kind of village.

Mind you, we have a good history. We have a quarry at the North end, and back in the 19th and early 20th centuries the quarrymen were hard drinkers. Right up until 10 years ago , we had 11 pubs, and as a lad, there were 15. Friday nights in the 1900’s there were a dozen coppers in the village to deal with drunken brawling amongst the quarrymen. That’s when the temperance movement got a hold, and the Methodists and Baptist’s became popular. A lot of history.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arwen: What you seem to be looking for is already out there.... Just
Hill farms, crofts and most islands tend to be groups of people/families that mind their own business most of the time (in fact in the case of the hill farms are in direct competition at some times of the year) and yet come together at times for workforce heavy jobs (round-up, reaping time and , yes, barn raisings) .
You often hear of a hill farmer breaking a leg or WHY and all his neighbours picking up his workload... I don't see that happening with stockbrokers :lol:

'Tribes' are supposed to be around the 100 to 200 mark, apparently thats about the point where we know who this person is and what they do as well as their parents, best mate and SOP ("Thats young Jimmy, his folks farm over by the wood. But going by the fact that Davey Smith isn't with him and he's coming from that way, he's been visiting the Crawfords girl again" )

What you offer the community as a whole, isn't just based on skills or money (or as somebody mentioned earlier, going out to work while the others mess about planting carrots), it is less quantifiable then that. I found Raven's recollections of Gran to be a case in point, can't plant the crop (but can advise). Can't preserve the crop (but can supervise), watches out for people even when they don't know she is. And knows why this person is having problems and takes steps to relieve the pressure point without making a big song and dance about it..... Raven: Be proud of her, she made you who you are.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

Do NOT search for the definition of Crofting using the "Online Slang Dictionary" because that is definitely NOT what Im looking for. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meanin ... f/crofting.

Puts "Small Holding" into a whole new category as well. :lol: :lol:

I used to think dogging was something completely different until a few years ago.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:23 pm How many people reading this genuinely considered the finer points of the community they were moving into? What research did you do? I would really like to know what questions you asked or investigations you did?

I doubt that many people do much in depth checking of a community before buying or renting a property, other than locations and credit-ability of local schools, doctors and hospitals. How would you? Knock on your prospective neighbours doors and ask if they are normal? :lol: Its difficult that's for sure.
Interesting point. I'll give you my experience. I grew up in the 70's on a council estate. It seemed a decent enough place to live although there were a couple of families who one tried not to come into contact with. In my 20's i brought a house perhaps half a mile away. I had school friends who lived in the neighbouring street and knew the area . It was also a decent area and neighbours seemed ok save again for the odd family. I was probably more concerned with checking the house was not above mine workings rather than anything else. Next decade after marrying we brought another house again barely half a mile away. Again the main concern was other factors more than anything else , bigger house , bigger garden and off road parking ( and of course no mineworkings ) . Community wise there is a difference though not really because the people are different. There's the ubiquitous grumpy old man and we don't get on with our immediate neighbours to one side. We just don't have anything in common. For example we have fruit trees , vegetables and green houses , they have concrete , trampolines and are currently putting in a garden bar. But the biggest difference community wise is the location. The council estate and my first house were in quiet side streets , the current house is on a more main road. With the former houses kids played in the road and people would stand around outside having a conversation or whatever. Here there's more through traffic and people don't tend to congregate just for sociability.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Just looked at that slang thing arwen . Can't say it's one i've heard of. Hmm lovely ....
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I do worry that the communities many of us think we currently belong to, would (hand clapping on Thursdays evenings aside) simply disintegrate under a serious SHTF event.

The COV19 experience so far has tended to draw society together is some respects, it might be the complete opposite under different circumstances where everyone is looking out for themselves.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Can't help thinking 25% of the population being paid to sit on their arses has taken the edge off this apocalypse.
omega man

Post by omega man »

That's all about to change, shortly lots of people currently on furlough will become unemployed and massively overwhelmed by their righteous sense of entitlement. As soon as the employer has to pitch in to the tune of 20% the deadwood will be shed. The honeymoon period is nearly over.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Blood and Family
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman