Insect bites

Medical and Healthcare
GillyBee

Re: Insect bites

Post by GillyBee »

I'm not convinced vitamin B helps me. Citronella works well. DEET melts plastic and risks my glasses so I avoid that. I've just got some wristbands to try which are lemon eucalyptus. I will be testing those in the garden.
The travel plug in things work for the bedroom but do have a running cost. They also kill the whitefly on my houseplants.

I react quite badly so also have a regime to stay sane if bitten.

1)Oral antihistamines
2) Topical antihistamine mixed with Germoline. The Germolene contains a local anaesthetic which gives a chance of sleep.
3) If possible cover the bite with a plaster. It reduces friction and hence itching and is a good idea if your bites tend to ulcerate.
4) Home herbal remedy used when itchy on bites with no plaster. This is a diy salve of marigolds lavender and Yarrow which seems to help cut the itch and can be used frequently.
omega man

Post by omega man »

Here's some bad news: Consuming alcohol may make your blood tastier to mosquitoes, according to a 2011 French study. Researchers discovered that the alcoholic equivalent of three cans of beer can lead to 30 percent more bug bites, at least for men in a controlled laboratory setting.

:cry:

OM
jansman

Post by jansman »

omega man wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:04 pm Here's some bad news: Consuming alcohol may make your blood tastier to mosquitoes, according to a 2011 French study. Researchers discovered that the alcoholic equivalent of three cans of beer can lead to 30 percent more bug bites, at least for men in a controlled laboratory setting.

OM
That'll be the problem then!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I was told tequila repels mosquitos. Wifey and I had a bottle of it in Corfu to see. Insect bites were the least of our worries the next day...
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

omega man wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:04 pm Here's some bad news: Consuming alcohol may make your blood tastier to mosquitoes, according to a 2011 French study. Researchers discovered that the alcoholic equivalent of three cans of beer can lead to 30 percent more bug bites, at least for men in a controlled laboratory setting.

OM
Can confirm anecdotally. I visit my folks in Spain a lot. When I drank I would a) get bitten more, and b) react far more. Since stopping it's far better.
Rykard

Post by Rykard »

got bit again, think i must have something dodgy running through my veins.

looks different this time, been using hydrocortisone 1% since Tuesday evening, nut it still feels tight and bruised when i walk. it looks different to last time.

think I am going to see the chemist tomorrow and see what they say.
Attachments
Leg bite.jpg
PreppingSu

Post by PreppingSu »

Get an Aloe Vera not. Easy to look after. Break an end off and rub the 'juice' on a bite or burn to ease the itching. Repeat as many times an necessary.

Similar problem with my OH, who currently has a calf twice the size due to swelling after being bitten several times while gardening. He reacts to wasp stings as well. I may have just persuaded him to contact GP and consider an EpiPen (just in case).
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

I get bitten to pieces too! Antihistamines beforehand, cover up as much as possible. Citronella oil and tea tree oil around the house and in a spray. Magnesium sulphate paste on swelling bites to draw out the goo.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Ever since we went keto, I've hardly been touched. Weird, cos anything bitey used to swarm me, midges in particular.

I've found a hot teaspoon on the bite helps a lot. And there's two very easy to make creams. 50ml of aloe gel with as much witch hazel beaten (I use an electric hand mixer) into it as it will hold - add it *slowly*, like you would if you were making mayo. You're looking for a sort of custard consistency. Once it's mixed, into a pot with a lid.

The other is 50ml aloe gel, 25 drops tea tree oil, 25 drops lavender oil and 20 drops of vit e oil - beat it all up with a hand mixer, decant into a pot with a lid.

Both of those will last for years, and you can adjust the quantities. You can use as often as you like, but remember, a little goes a long way!
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Scottish midges seem a bit partial to my flesh as do midges and bitey things in most places. The chap whose place we camp at swears by eating Marmite and said they dont bother him. Out of all of the things I have tried this nasty tin of stuff called "Nordic Summer" works the best. It makes you smell of pine needles and bonfires and makes anything near it smell of the same. I recently invested in a Thermacell which seemed to work on the days I preferred not to smell of bonfires.
Growing old disgracefully!