Woodlands??

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jansman

Re: Woodlands??

Post by jansman »

I agree with piglet.I have a fair piece of woodland that I have permission to shoot in.Even though there is some perimeter fencing, a locked gate near the road,and numerous 'Private Property ' signs there are often trespassers in there when I am.They soon hop it when they see me with a gun.But,they are up to no good.Now,the idea of hiding in woodland come SHTF,even if you own it,is fraught with danger.Trespassers,will most likely be willing to cause harm,real harm,in pursuit of who knows what? Give me a locked door anytime.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welshwiz11 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 am
Deeps wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:51 am Was talking to a guy at the weekend who has a 5 acre wood, he takes his family there for some 'quality time', me and my mate were both 'well jel'. Was asking him if he'd planted fruit trees etc, he was getting some and I mentioned a guerrilla garden but he didn't know what I was on about.
Ok nobody has asked so I will. What's a guerilla garden??
Jansman has covered it, I've got some garlic planted on a disused field that's set aside for businesses. They were 'spare' from the allotment so I thought I'd see how they're go, pretty good so far, maybe even better than the allotment stuff. There are plenty brambles there already so I'll be adding some raspberries and other stuff there too. I've also planted some hazelnuts but if they do come to anything it'll be a long time before they're of any use. I have thought about an apple tree too but we have one in the garden and most years struggle to use them all.
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:18 pm
Welshwiz11 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 am
Deeps wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:51 am Was talking to a guy at the weekend who has a 5 acre wood, he takes his family there for some 'quality time', me and my mate were both 'well jel'. Was asking him if he'd planted fruit trees etc, he was getting some and I mentioned a guerrilla garden but he didn't know what I was on about.
Ok nobody has asked so I will. What's a guerilla garden??
Jansman has covered it, I've got some garlic planted on a disused field that's set aside for businesses. They were 'spare' from the allotment so I thought I'd see how they're go, pretty good so far, maybe even better than the allotment stuff. There are plenty brambles there already so I'll be adding some raspberries and other stuff there too. I've also planted some hazelnuts but if they do come to anything it'll be a long time before they're of any use. I have thought about an apple tree too but we have one in the garden and most years struggle to use them all.
Ah right I see. Kinda a covert garden hidden away somewhere that you can use. I like it
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

I've looked into this myself, and came to a number of conclusions. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If you're buying just a small parcel of woodland it becomes prohibitively expensive, and you have all of the associated problems previously mentioned. It won't provide you with many resources over the course of a year, you don't effectively own it, you can't keep others away, and you have a responsibility to look after it. If you can find one, maybe it's better to spend more money and buy a smallholding with a dilapidated building on it. The brokers split the woodland into small plots for a reason. It costs you more to buy it that way.
Fortune Favours The Prepared.