Essex Ham Radio Free Learning Course

cbp125

Re: Essex Ham Radio Free Learning Course

Post by cbp125 »

I would suggest a dvd of linux mint from ebay! Anything with windows is rubbish! (she says on a win10 laptop lol)

We all learn in different ways, they have changed the course recently and I am always amazed at how boring they can make ham sound. At its most basic it is just another way to chat with friends!

Don't give up, just delay
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Absolutely just delaying - I have the new foundation book, I have the little baofeng, its all good.

As for my laptop - it has a new fan, it had an internal clean last year, I try to keep it cool by perching it on a couple of sticks of cork, instead of flat on the table, so it has airflow underneath. I think it will last the lockdown, but I'm okay with buying another one - I've had this 9 years. I've used it so much the paint has worn off the keyboard :oops: :?: :lol: and in using a soft toothbrush to do a regular keyboard clean, some of the tops of the keys came off :shock: It's going to that great shop-in-the-sky very soon!
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:44 pm Absolutely just delaying - I have the new foundation book, I have the little baofeng, its all good.

As for my laptop - it has a new fan, it had an internal clean last year, I try to keep it cool by perching it on a couple of sticks of cork, instead of flat on the table, so it has airflow underneath. I think it will last the lockdown, but I'm okay with buying another one - I've had this 9 years. I've used it so much the paint has worn off the keyboard :oops: :?: :lol: and in using a soft toothbrush to do a regular keyboard clean, some of the tops of the keys came off :shock: It's going to that great shop-in-the-sky very soon!
A trick I came up with when studying for my advanced exam was to study the book backwards! The front of every book is the technical section, I know lots of intermediate licencee's who wanted to do their advanced, got a book, opened it up then after their eye's bulged in shock closed the book and gave up.... I read my book from the last chapters backwards, it was a much gentler learning curve. Also pick up your book often and regularly however always put it down the moment you get stressed. Then try again another day. Or read a section from the book then look it up on youtube.... its explained far better there!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

cbp, what a great tip! I love that, thank you!
korolev

Post by korolev »

Did the online exam last week, passed with 25 out of 26, and have just registered with Ofcom and have my M7 call sign.

Now to start looking for something a bit better than my Baofeng handheld...
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Congratulations!!! Start studying for the intermediate next! If you leave it too long, you forget and have to relearn everything. I did my 2E0 within a fourtnight of my M7...

Good luck upgrading, it gets expensive now lol... especially if you have tastes like mine
korolev

Post by korolev »

Dunno about doing the intermediate/full; I think I'll see how it goes for now. I've been listening on my little handheld Baofeng and I don't hear a lot (and location-wise I am in a decent elevated position with line of sight over the Sussex Weald and to a couple of
repeaters).
Gonna put a proper antenna up and see what I get on that first.
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

cbp125 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:25 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:16 pm
cbp125 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm

You could pass the advanced exam with that type of background!

The exams are also worded in such a way that if you are able to read the insinuations in the questions you can quite easily guess the answers.

Sussed that very quickly but are designed to catch you out things like UK power 110ac 230dc 50hz and 60hz same as most of these tests like the driving theory test ..

Been having a pole about can't quiet reach the Scunthorpe repeater need to try a few others
.. then again the beaufeng would probably benefit from a better antenna
Try a tactical antenna from ebay or amazon, they are very powerful. I thought they were a gimic until a friend got one, it can easily hit 30-40 miles on good terrain.
Hi cbp125,
I hope you're well.
I've been studying my foundation for the last week. Despite considering myself a complete tech-noob, I'm surprised to find that I'm enjoying the content and the equations for power and Ohms Law seem to have stuck straight away, so that's cool. Happy I don't have to struggle with that. Haven't programmed the baby Baofeng yet.

I was just wondering, what's that particular antenna you previously recommended, please? Would it be this type...?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/42-ABBREE-Tr ... Swz8tecD6z

Thanks,
M.
Fortune Favours The Prepared.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Yes thats the antenna, its definatly not descrete but it is very high gain and very useful for longer distances. Glad your course is going well. Hope to here you on the air sometime, just remember not to post your callsign, as it's linked to your home address online.
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

cbp125 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:37 pm Yes thats the antenna, its definatly not descrete but it is very high gain and very useful for longer distances. Glad your course is going well. Hope to here you on the air sometime, just remember not to post your callsign, as it's linked to your home address online.
Awesome, thanks. Now, when you tell me it's 'high gain' I actually understand what you're talking about! =0)

I've been watching EssexHam's course content daily, developing a good understanding of the subject and managed to programme the Baofeng somewhat. I'll be able to assist my group with my new knowledge.

Thanks for the reminder, and your help.

All the best,
M.
=0)
Fortune Favours The Prepared.