New Compass

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
JACKANGUS

New Compass

Post by JACKANGUS »

Hi guys,
I just bought a new Suunto MC-2G Compass.
My question is, Do i have to adjust the declination before using it?
I have read the declination is a big thing if you are using a map but i'm not sure if it has to be done before using it even if i'm not using a map.

Hope you guys can help.
Thanks.
pseudonym

Re: New Compass

Post by pseudonym »

If you can map read to a high level then yes, if not do not worry to much, just remember mag to grid get rid and grid to mag add.

It also depends if your maps are up to date, the info will be printed on there somewhere.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
JACKANGUS

Post by JACKANGUS »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:57 am If you can map read to a high level then yes, if not do not worry to much, just remember mag to grid get rid and grid to mag add.

It also depends if your maps are up to date, the info will be printed on there somewhere.
Nice one pseudonym.

What does mag to grid get rid and grid to mag add?
I haven't done map reading for 25 years and even then it was pretty basic. I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember anything really.

Thanks again buddy.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Sorry, mag to grid get rid is the magnetic reading of North compared to the map reading of North it needs to be deducted and grid to mag added.

HTH
JACKANGUS

Post by JACKANGUS »

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

JACKANGUS wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:45 pmThanks :D
YW

I bought the 1:25 and 1:50 of my local area, used them to plot routes mark areas of interest and orientate myself to the map symbols.

ie. follow the route you take walking the dog on the map, making sure you can follow the map to what you see on the ground in front of you.
tarmactatt

Post by tarmactatt »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:02 pm Sorry, mag to grid get rid is the magnetic reading of North compared to the map reading of North it needs to be deducted and grid to mag added.

HTH
Does this still hold given mag declination "0" is currently a line through Exeter-swansea- West coast of Scotland? West of the line will be a different rule, surely?

I use a compass for work and to be honest, would struggle to do mag/map conversions on the fly, I always adjust and check declination first thing then don't have to worry about it.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

tarmactatt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:32 am
pseudonym wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:02 pm Sorry, mag to grid get rid is the magnetic reading of North compared to the map reading of North it needs to be deducted and grid to mag added.

HTH
Does this still hold given mag declination "0" is currently a line through Exeter-swansea- West coast of Scotland? West of the line will be a different rule, surely?

I use a compass for work and to be honest, would struggle to do mag/map conversions on the fly, I always adjust and check declination first thing then don't have to worry about it.
Very true for most of the UK, here is when the actual readings change:

https://www.forces.net/services/army/ma ... -add-or-it

HTH