Freezing Cheddar Reality?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Freezing Cheddar Reality?

Post by jennyjj01 »

Practical help please, preferably from experience.

For the last 2 months, for the first time ever, I've been storing frozen (mature) cheddar in my stash. I've actually used some of the early stock and only really noticed degraded texture. Still made awesome welsh rarebit.

But I'm seeing conflicting opinions on freezing cheddar. Mostly I'm warned not to expect great taste and texture after defrosting it. But I'm a prepper, not a restauranteur. Edible and cheesy is all I ask for.
To hell with the detail. How long is frozen cheddar really good for? And by 'good', I mean 'acceptable nourishment' when there is no chance of buying it fresh. I don't frankly care if it becomes on a par with the most rubbish 'fresh' cheddar, so long as it isn't rancid or toxic.
Would storing it for 12 months be too much to hope for? What if my stock was to be consumed progressively over 2 years?

Really better to grate it? Somehow, I see that as inviting freezer burn.
Currently holding one freezer shelf full in 200g lumps. Looking to maybe half a freezer full, 'cos I love my cheese and bacon.

Stay safe, folks.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Re: Freezing Cheddar Reality?

Post by jansman »

We freeze it. Its best grated in our experience though. As for life,I don't think a year would be out of order.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Freeze it. If shredded and frozen brand new cheese then according to this site can last year or maybe longer
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Thanks.
It says 8 months past BBE..... So I'll plan to keep some for 4 years :) :lol:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:10 am We freeze it. Its best grated in our experience though. As for life,I don't think a year would be out of order.
I agree. Can be frozen but better grated.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I buy big blocks and devide into 4, wrap in cling film and freeze. I have several shelves and I would happily eat it several years old. Cheese improves with age after all! I defrost overnight into my fridge then I use it just like fresh, grated, sliced or however I want it too. I have never had a problem with it at all. TBH it is one of the more reliable preps. I was originally planning to wax cheese, just for fun, and as an off grid system but never quite got around to it...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

'Proper' cheese was a way of storing milk long term, I'm not sure why modern cheese doesn't seem to have any kind of life expectancy ?

I tend to only start eating supermarket cheese after the BBE as it might of developed some flavour at that point.... Even the "28 day extra matured" stuff
An Ex- used to buy 25 year old Gouda (more as a treat then as everyday cheese) and I don't remember that ever spoiling.

I'm reading this thread with interest, mainly because I'm a bit of a Ben Gunn and my idea of PAW hell is not having access to cheese :D
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
unsure

Post by unsure »

ive frozen cheese before , i also found it better for cooking with rather than putting on bread or salads .
i have some of the cheese slice`s in the freezer some were , they`ve been in for a good while , might have to pull them out and see what state there in .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Has no one ever tried to freeze perishable stuff like cheese butter margarine etc for extended length of time to see if it is actually eatable afterwards?ie 5 years after expiry
Jansman