2nd wave preps

How are you preparing
mikefranks

2nd wave preps

Post by mikefranks »

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is well.

Been going though the news past few hours, seen a lot of articles floating about a second wave which may be bigger then the first. Now will all we have seen over the past 2 months.

Have we learnt about possible flaws in our preps and maybe even how we thought we would cope? I for one have seen many and slowly rectifying things to come.

My feeling is that we will be hit hardest in and around October. Prepping hard for then as we had the luxury now of fairly ok weather and longer days. Once we are in those months, shortly colder days.

For example, how some of the supermarkets had spiralling queues which snaked the car park and waiting outdoor to go in. I feel a second and tougher lockdown coming. Your thoughts..
Arwen Thebard

Re: 2nd wave preps

Post by Arwen Thebard »

A very similar conversation going on here, although we are primarily concerned that an economic crash is going to cause the second wave of lock-downs and [eventually] the greatest pain. With that in mind we have bought in a few extra 'luxuries' ahead of time, things which were clearly missing in our preps and will help through the long winter nights ahead. And how far ahead to you try and plan for? Third wave? Fourth wave? If it goes that far there may not be that many of us left.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

mikefranks wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:45 am Hi everyone. Hope everyone is well.

Been going though the news past few hours, seen a lot of articles floating about a second wave which may be bigger then the first. Now will all we have seen over the past 2 months.

Have we learnt about possible flaws in our preps and maybe even how we thought we would cope? I for one have seen many and slowly rectifying things to come.

My feeling is that we will be hit hardest in and around October. Prepping hard for then as we had the luxury now of fairly ok weather and longer days. Once we are in those months, shortly colder days.

For example, how some of the supermarkets had spiralling queues which snaked the car park and waiting outdoor to go in. I feel a second and tougher lockdown coming. Your thoughts..
After what has happened,I would never say never.We found ourselves with a lot of gaps at the end of March.We had let things slide since the kids had left home.I think a secondary spike of the virus is entirely possible.I went fishing for the first time in months yesterday,to a commercial fishery near me.It was like Disneyland,and Social Distancing was near zero! One fella fishing near me said, " if the Environment Agency bailiffs turn up,they'll shut this place down". And that was out in the open. Everyone returning to work,in enclosed spaces will be worse. Where I work,there are token screens for counter staff,masks, " if you insist on one", and the butchers and bakers are working literally,shoulder to shoulder.

As for a more severe lockdown,I wouldn't like to say.The population is tired of it,and the country cannot afford it. However,we will be restocking everything after the experience of the last two months,even if it is *just* to cover unemployment,which I reckon should now be on every working persons radar.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

The other day my daughter who is 15 , fit and healthy said that she'd rather get it now and "get it over with" . She's seen the figures , the death rates and all the other information. There's every chance she might not know she had even had the disease and while she has concerns about her parents who are in their 50's she acknowledges we are both healthy and probably not at a huge risk. There's a lot of evidence that those who were exposed to the first wave of spanish flu were largely untouched by subsequent waves.
It might or might not be a good prep for the second wave to experience it now but i could see her logic. There's certainly not going to be any form of vaccine we could take as a prep and completely cutting ourselves from society for the foreseeable future seems almost impossible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 am The other day my daughter who is 15 , fit and healthy said that she'd rather get it now and "get it over with" . She's seen the figures , the death rates and all the other information. There's every chance she might not know she had even had the disease and while she has concerns about her parents who are in their 50's she acknowledges we are both healthy and probably not at a huge risk. There's a lot of evidence that those who were exposed to the first wave of spanish flu were largely untouched by subsequent waves.
It might or might not be a good prep for the second wave to experience it now but i could see her logic. There's certainly not going to be any form of vaccine we could take as a prep and completely cutting ourselves from society for the foreseeable future seems almost impossible.
Your daughter's attitude is the same as my wife,me and youngest daughter.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

mikefranks wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:45 am Hi everyone. Hope everyone is well.

I agree about the cold weather and longer days and believe that things would have been far worse in the autumn/winter months especially when people tend to be ill more anyway with general viruses and those who have ongoing health issues find them more problematic. I have mentioned the possibility of a second wave to my family and asked them to keep stocking up, but was accused of scaremongering by colleagues at work, although I dont foresee another lockdown as I doubt the economy could deal with it. I know that I have gaps in my preps and will do all that I can to resolve these as best I can.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Another thing that occurred to me today,is Brexit.Largely forgotten,but still goona happen at the end of the year.Apply the fear people had over lockdown and the resulting panic buying,and the memory of that , to Brexit.All it will take is the media to even hint at the chance of shortages,and folks will repeat that again.

Robert Frost.

Me.
mikefranks

Post by mikefranks »

I think the second wave could potentially be worse then this first wave we have had. A lot factors, we will see a lot of panic and more job losses. I think there will be another lockdown. We will start to see it in Asia then in Europe. Hopefully we have all learnt from this and better ourselves. Glad to see some of my own family take my advice this time round.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:39 pmApply the fear people had over lockdown and the resulting panic buying,and the memory of that , to Brexit.All it will take is the media to even hint at the chance of shortages,and folks will repeat that again.
Could be an interesting one. Cheques stretching around the car parks with the social distancing , limited home delivery slots and currently on tesco click and collect there's an 80 item limit so i'm not certain how a second wave panic buying scenerio would play out. Would people abandon the social distancing to scrum down in the supermarket aisles or would the fear of the virus prevent them doing that? Would muggings for a trollyload of shopping be seen?
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:04 am
jansman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:39 pmApply the fear people had over lockdown and the resulting panic buying,and the memory of that , to Brexit.All it will take is the media to even hint at the chance of shortages,and folks will repeat that again.
Could be an interesting one. Cheques stretching around the car parks with the social distancing , limited home delivery slots and currently on tesco click and collect there's an 80 item limit so i'm not certain how a second wave panic buying scenerio would play out. Would people abandon the social distancing to scrum down in the supermarket aisles or would the fear of the virus prevent them doing that? Would muggings for a trollyload of shopping be seen?
Brexit is the end of the year.The grocery firms are going to want to be able to sell customers whatever they want,as it will be Christmas. A massive earner for them,so I suspect there will be plenty on the shelves,and nor will government want to incur the wrath of the populace after recent events.We shall see.

Robert Frost.

Me.