Dried beans

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: Dried beans

Post by ForgeCorvus »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:14 pm For red lentils, 1 mug full seems about equivalent to a pound of mince (Now I'm showing my age. I should say 500g )
Whats with these new fangled measurements?
Don't you mean 40 shekels? :lol:

I know a few people who can't eat gluten and/or wheat... I'll ask them if they've tried lentil 'pancakes'
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I originally got the recipe here:

https://www.powerhungry.com/2018/05/1-i ... ree-vegan/

Since we now usually have a jug of blended lentils in the fridge it has also become the go to addition instead of flour to thicken gravy and made a good cheese sauce base with some additional rice flour
We also make a popular tortilla like thing by frying an onion, peppers, bacon etc, adding grated cheese and stirring in 3 or 4 tablespoons of blended lentil.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:02 pm I originally got the recipe here:

+100
Oh wow. those tortillas look awesome. Just lentils, water and a dash of salt. Got to try that.

Mods, Please try to give us a 'thank you' button
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Since we now usually have a jug of blended lentils in the fridge it has also become the go to addition instead of flour to thicken gravy and made a good cheese sauce base with some additional rice flour
We also make a popular tortilla like thing by frying an onion, peppers, bacon etc, adding grated cheese and stirring in 3 or 4 tablespoons of blended lentil.
I'm going to give this a try today, soaked the lentils overnight and I've just blended them. Seems a bit thinner than their one in the pictures, but there was a lot of water left so maybe my lentils didn't soak up as much, I'm guessing if that's the case then it will thicken a bit on standing now they're blended.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:23 am

I'm going to give this a try today, soaked the lentils overnight and I've just blended them. Seems a bit thinner than their one in the pictures, but there was a lot of water left so maybe my lentils didn't soak up as much, I'm guessing if that's the case then it will thicken a bit on standing now they're blended.
I gave it a go with little success. Soaked them overnight and all that. I think perhaps the lentils I used were a bit old and needed a bit more soaking. I think I had too much water left. I'll give it another go when I'm less cross about having to give my cast iron pan a really good scrub! :lol:
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I'm wondering if the cup of lentils needs to be heaped, whenever I do volume measures I do it level as that's what you're supposed to do, but maybe not everyone does,or maybe the lentils were bigger then there would be bigger air gaps between them.

I'll try it out later anyway and see, but nothing goes in my cast iron pan until I've tried it out, it's going in the non stick one!

Edit: I just had a look and it has thickened up quite a lot since I blended it, so I think it was just that they hadn't soaked it all up, I'll give it another whizz before I make them in case there's any lumps.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Even green lentils don't really need to be soaked overnight, red lentils deffo not, in my experience - they do absorb water during the cooking process of course, they're dried, after all! But the red ones, not as much as you might think. I still haven't tried the pancakes, but I do like the sound of them. So many cookery experiments, so little time! Even in lockdown!
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:22 pm Even green lentils don't really need to be soaked overnight, red lentils deffo not, in my experience - they do absorb water during the cooking process of course, they're dried, after all! But the red ones, not as much as you might think. I still haven't tried the pancakes, but I do like the sound of them. So many cookery experiments, so little time! Even in lockdown!
I never soak them normally either, but for this recipe they'll need soaking unless you have a monster of a blender, I have a pretty good blender but there's no way it would get them blitzed down enough with dry lentils.

One of the bullet style blenders or the semi commercial ones would probably do it though.

Update: It didn't work. Followed the recipe and they don't hold together well enough to get anything other than a sticky paste when you try and flip it.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Oh dear! I am sorry that didn't work for you.
I think you most likely had too much liquid in the mix. We had that happen once or twice and it does make a soggy mess.
The mix should be too thick to pour. You have to spread it out with a spatula. More like a cake batter than a pancake batter. The pictures on the website do show this but may not have made it clear how important it is.
If you soak the lentils well then pour off the water from above the level of the lentils (but don't drain completely) before blending then it should be about right. If your blender is a bit weaker and needs more water then a scoop of rice or any other flour helps thicken it up enough to make tortilla and not fried white sauce.