Lockdown?

How are you preparing
Ahastyatom

Re: Lockdown?

Post by Ahastyatom »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:27 am but I can't get hold of seeds anywhere. And all the plants on ebay are PRE ORDER so I'm not sure whether to go for that and make sure I get some veg at some point.
I keep getting emails from Sutton's (I don't work for them or anything like that) saying they are still delivering seeds and plants. I have not tried buying anything so can't confirm delivery times or anything but thinking of trying.

H
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:01 am
jansman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:22 pm I have had some serious dental work done recently, and basically have a temporary crown, awaiting the real deal in 2 weeks. It should have been 2 weeks AGO,but my dentist bailed to self- isolate. Got a call earlier... no dentist until further notice. If any of you have a dental emergency, it’s 111 ; good luck with that! All dentists have been stood down.
Oh crap. That's not good. I am in the same position with my eyes. Two pairs of glasses (that should have been sorted before lockdown, but went tits up due to the factory and the opticians both making mistakes resulting in the specs that did arrive having to be sent back to the factory on the Wednesday before we were locked down by BoJo) have just disappeared into the ether, along with my new contact lenses. The optician has closed and buggered off back to his practice in Halifax, basically leaving his customers that frequent the other practice (me) completely screwed. Opticians have been told they can open for essential treatment but the locum optician has also disappeared.

Jansman - temporary crowns can last quite a while as long as you are gentle with them. Good luck!
And good luck with the spectacles too. I have very poor near- vision these days, and I broke a pair of glasses yesterday...so in a way,I do understand. Tough times.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:27 am but I can't get hold of seeds anywhere. And all the plants on ebay are PRE ORDER so I'm not sure whether to go for that and make sure I get some veg at some point.
https://www.realseeds.co.uk/index.html

Real seed are still well stocked and delivering however they are limiting orders to 1 of everything and no more than 35 I think. They are opening their shopping system sporadically through the week and then on Saturday at 10am. I have used them for years and all of their seeds are real not hybrids etc so you can save the seeds for next year, something I will definatley be doing far more of this year.

Good Luck with your order
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

itsy that's shocking re yur optician!
Ahastyatom I was on Suttons site and most of what I wanted was out of stock but other stuff was still available.
cpb125 I've got from Realseeds too for years but every time I try the site they say they're closed. I tried this morning too. Must just have been unlucky /wrong time.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Itsy: if you have a scrip you can try one one the online specs shops.

Re: Dentists, Herself is in the same boat. Had a treatment booked and now the practice has gone emergencies only
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
unsure

Post by unsure »

same here with the dentist , half way through a course of treatment and now have to wait till june at the earliest .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:01 pm Itsy: if you have a scrip you can try one one the online specs shops.

Re: Dentists, Herself is in the same boat. Had a treatment booked and now the practice has gone emergencies only
I have a scipt - locked in the opticians! The lady who works in the store in the city where I live (the owner lives about an hour and a half away in another city) won't take a bus or a taxi to the practice to get my prescription so that Specsavers can make me a new pair of specs. To say I'm pissed off is an understatement. If it hadn't been for their sheer incompetence in the first place I wouldn't be in this position.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:18 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:01 pm Itsy: if you have a scrip you can try one one the online specs shops.

I have a scipt - locked in the opticians! The lady who works in the store in the city where I live (the owner lives about an hour and a half away in another city) won't take a bus or a taxi to the practice to get my prescription so that Specsavers can make me a new pair of specs. To say I'm pissed off is an understatement. If it hadn't been for their sheer incompetence in the first place I wouldn't be in this position.
Grrrrr I made sure I left with a copy of mine when I had my eyes done and managed to get my new day to day glasses Monday lockdown evening after work :ugeek:

good job I did my safety specs broke yesterday (well they did their job) been even more geeky I had photographed it so had the perception to order a pair immediately and the mail order place was £20 cheaper than Specsavers the sesspool of opticians I've never had such a argumentative eye test anywhere than the store in Goulag ;)

Optometrists didn't like answering any questions was arsey from the start..

Got into a debate about the pair of £6 glasses I had on "that they might not be right" he came back having testing them saying they were spot on :twisted: but you "can't trust on line places " me been me... Questioned if they had ever made a mistake....NO ...well he didn't like been told they had mucked up both my parents glasses he wouldn't have it..... Then hid behind the confidentiality line :lol:

Got not much better when I went to get fitted woman looked like she had had better days stood there telling me I couldn't get my free second pair as safety glasses despite my 1st frames been £50 more than them ..

Well I got them last time I came for glasses as a free second pair ..

Then apparently I needed a letter from my employer so they could get the specification correct so I rattled off en166 F (European standard impact grade for safety specs) that wasn't good enough nor was the old bs2092:2 apparently :? I do the ruddy health and safety hence I could rattle off the specific ratings

Got to the tell you what give me my prescription and I'll go elsewhere for my glasses......

Suddenly they could do it "but we will not do it again" (relating to the free 2nd pair)

Then they wouldn't honour the £10 eye test voucher when I came to pay that the main town centre car park ticket machine spits out at that point I admit I got very stroppy and mouthy and the "manager over rid the price....

When I went back to collect my glasses I passed £10 vouchers to all who were sat waiting :twisted: (council car park printed 30 min free tickets at the press of 2 buttons so I collected half a dozen as I walked for my glasses ) :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Andy, you star! Brilliant.