What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Arzosah »

Organising my medical supplies - and writing a list. Bit of a question: things like surgical spirit, witch hazel, they have expiry dates on the bottles. Some things have "use by", most are "best before" - anybody know anything about that?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:06 pm Organising my medical supplies - and writing a list. Bit of a question: things like surgical spirit, witch hazel, they have expiry dates on the bottles. Some things have "use by", most are "best before" - anybody know anything about that?
Just like food Arzosah. Use by is just that. After that date that product will not be effective. Best before: ok to that date, but after that it may lose colour, texture, smell etc.

Hope that helps.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:18 pm
Arzosah wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:06 pm Organising my medical supplies - and writing a list. Bit of a question: things like surgical spirit, witch hazel, they have expiry dates on the bottles. Some things have "use by", most are "best before" - anybody know anything about that?
Just like food Arzosah. Use by is just that. After that date that product will not be effective. Best before: ok to that date, but after that it may lose colour, texture, smell etc.

Hope that helps.
It does, thanks - I'd have guessed the answer, and got it right :) but this is stuff you use when you're below par, after all :) ta muchly.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Finally got my food stocks up to a point I'm happy with, only wish i had the skill and space to grow edibles but hey ho.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

preppergb wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:49 pm Finally got my food stocks up to a point I'm happy with, only wish i had the skill and space to grow edibles but hey ho.
Have you got any outside, even a balcony?
https://balconygardenweb.com/easy-conta ... gardening/

Gardening is a skill, you need to practice it.

I'm just at the "stick seedlings in a container and water when they're dry" level myself
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Pulled in four barrowloads of good topsoil from my neighbour today. I riddle it out , mix with sharp sand and homemade compost, along with fish, blood and bone and boom! Good Innes potting compost. To top it all Ian, the neighbour is digging drains ( he is a builder who has put two bungalows in his garden) and he has said he will pay me a ton a day for labouring as he knows I have no work right now. Of course, I have to contact HMRC first! ;) ;) 6 am start tomorrow it is!

Robert Frost.

Me.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

jansman wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:12 pm Pulled in four barrowloads of good topsoil from my neighbour today. I riddle it out , mix with sharp sand and homemade compost, along with fish, blood and bone and boom! Good Innes potting compost. To top it all Ian, the neighbour is digging drains ( he is a builder who has put two bungalows in his garden) and he has said he will pay me a ton a day for labouring as he knows I have no work right now. Of course, I have to contact HMRC first! ;) ;) 6 am start tomorrow it is!
Some days are just good, aren't they :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Awesome :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

izzy_mack wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:24 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:12 pm Pulled in four barrowloads of good topsoil from my neighbour today. I riddle it out , mix with sharp sand and homemade compost, along with fish, blood and bone and boom! Good Innes potting compost. To top it all Ian, the neighbour is digging drains ( he is a builder who has put two bungalows in his garden) and he has said he will pay me a ton a day for labouring as he knows I have no work right now. Of course, I have to contact HMRC first! ;) ;) 6 am
Some days are just good, aren't they :D
Always been a survivor. When this is over, all the insurance salesmen and financial advisors may have to learn to shovel Sh•t. I really hope so.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good for you, jansman!

My preps have been less preptastic. I was up early to collect a click and collect order from my Sainsbo - literally the first food thats come into the house since the delivery 3 weeks ago, so I've been managing pretty well. I laid everything out at the front door so I could wash the chill and frozen stuff in really soapy water, bunged my clothes in the washer on a hot wash, got a shower and washed my hair. Might be slight overkill ... okay, yes, it is, I didn't even need to go inside the store, they do click and collect orders from a van of their own parked in the car park. I was seeing the queue to get in when the store opened - most people in masks, observing distancing, but you have to wait for a long while - I'm going to wait as long as I can before I need anything else - lots of lovely wild garlic in my garden, the lemon balm has gone crazy (so have the nettles) and the rhubarb looks beautiful.