What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Anyone who makes home brew is a friend of mine! Here at Chez Jansman, it is a cottage industry!!

Think it was one of our fellow mods who sent me the c berry amateur wine making book when I first signed up on here .. I gave it to my dad it made his day!

He had one of the original copies litterally falling to bits

he's currently thawing out several lbs of brambles from the deep freeze to produce wine aka rocket fuel (tow when this is all ove

He once got a very well to do and snobby (although a lovely) aunt very very drunk on some bramble homebrew... She turned her nose up at the idea of homebrew he decanted some into a stowells red bottle, corked it and sweated a foil cap on over the kettle ... Opening it in front of her she demolished the bottle :lol:

Went to our local Boyes Itsi will know the chain sort of a old school home bargains selling everything including home brew When the pubs shut there was a gaggle of blokes eying up the kits reading the backs intently... The looks I got grabbing 2 kits and 2kg of spray malt was entertaining like "he knows what he's doing" :ugeek:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:07 pm
jansman wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Anyone who makes home brew is a friend of mine! Here at Chez Jansman, it is a cottage industry!!

Think it was one of our fellow mods who sent me the c berry amateur wine making book when I first signed up on here .. I gave it to my dad it made his day!

He had one of the original copies litterally falling to bits

he's currently thawing out several lbs of brambles from the deep freeze to produce wine aka rocket fuel (tow when this is all ove

He once got a very well to do and snobby (although a lovely) aunt very very drunk on some bramble homebrew... She turned her nose up at the idea of homebrew he decanted some into a stowells red bottle, corked it and sweated a foil cap on over the kettle ... Opening it in front of her she demolished the bottle :lol:

Went to our local Boyes Itsi will know the chain sort of a old school home bargains selling everything including home brew When the pubs shut there was a gaggle of blokes eying up the kits reading the backs intently... The looks I got grabbing 2 kits and 2kg of spray malt was entertaining like "he knows what he's doing" :ugeek:
Heh,heh. :lol: All the online brew shops are doing well.I managed to lay my hands on some turbo yeasts.Theoretically,they are for making a sugar wash,to distlll,but of course,that is extremely illegal and cannot be condoned in any way ,shape or form. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've been experimenting with how to use my supermarket own brand Smash, dehydrated potato. Firstly, a single portion whisked up with an egg - really simple, 3 bursts of 1 minute each in the microwave, done and dusted. Yesterday, I tried the proper cookery type thing: a recipe for potato pancakes. Kitchen was a disaster zone :lol: and its really, really not worth it for own brand Smash. Good to know, though.

In amongst clearing the potato pancakes debris, I've finally unearthed my seeds: I'm looking at basil, nasturtium, kale, courgettes, bread seed poppy (no holes that the seeds fall out of!) chard, broad beans, calendula, and welsh onions :? and some of them are quite old. I also have recently bought packs of alfalfa and wheatgrass to sprout. All this is really going to help to avoid supermarkets.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Made the most of cheap oil prices and topped up the oil tank. Spent yesterday out in the garden, hubby has made us another 3 raised beds from the pallets we have a free supply of and he has done a pretty good job. Already had the liner stuff so didnt cost us a penny, although compost has increased in price. Planted butternut squash, cabbages, more beans, leeks and potatoes. Chopped up more pallets for firewood and for the first time in a few years we dont have a huge pile of pallets taking up space. Sadly we might also not get many more this year due to the business closing due to Covid19. Currently have the dehydrator I got for Christmas on for the first time dehydrating chives and might give carrots a go tomorrow. My healing plants from last year have all reappeared but I cant get Calendula plants anywhere and wondering if I need to give these a go from seed as I can get hold of some.
Growing old disgracefully!
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Today I am going to cut up another pallet for kindling and check all my utilities and see if I can swap to a cheaper tariff.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Going out to get at least two more bottles of blue calour gas to go with the three I already have , bit worried about the cuts in production of petrochems globally. MAY see shortages but I cannot afford that risk. Definately under estimated my firewood needs as well but limited storage space does not help.

Set the wife the task of gradually increasing food reserves from 4/5 months to hopefully 9 months , funded by the cash available from the 3 month mortgage holiday.

Taking the vehicles out only once a week to prevent brakes and clutches seizing up through lack of use.

And I'm also looking to either get another 7 litre air bottle or a compressor to recharge my PCP airrifles.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Set up a second water butt yesterday - first was pretty low & was expecting some of the storms yesterday but they ended up with just a splash. Would like to set up a few more but placement will take some managing...
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

spent all morning cutting,splitting and stacking logs we use alot in a year what with having three log burners and a rayburn in the back kitchen,the rayburn runs the hot water and heating in the winter and the wife does most of her cooking on it but with my line of work logs are easy to come by thank god,have been planning on building another log shed (we can never have enough logs here)so when i get chance to source the stuff i use to build them i think that will be on the next to do list,if anyone wants to know what i use to build them fell free to ask majority of the stuff can be obtained for free....
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

preppergb wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:39 am Going out to get at least two more bottles of blue calour gas to go with the three I already have , bit worried about the cuts in production of petrochems globally. MAY see shortages but I cannot afford that risk. Definately under estimated my firewood needs as well but limited storage space does not help.

If finances will stretch or Facebook local selling comes up trumps look into the refillable bottles

Eg (other models exist)

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

Then you can refill at local petrol stations with LPG pumps.. much cheaper than calor
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:36 pm
preppergb wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:39 am Going out to get at least two more bottles of blue calour gas to go with the three I already have , bit worried about the cuts in production of petrochems globally. MAY see shortages but I cannot afford that risk. Definately under estimated my firewood needs as well but limited storage space does not help.

If finances will stretch or Facebook local selling comes up trumps look into the refillable bottles

Eg (other models exist)

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

Then you can refill at local petrol stations with LPG pumps.. much cheaper than calor
Thats great!
My main bone of contention with calor et al is the way they stiff you on the bottles, especially the smaller ones you use in campers etc
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar