Good kitchen knives

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: Good kitchen knives

Post by jansman »

In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:52 pm https://butchers-sundries.com/

There you go.
Prices aren't bad on there, I'll bookmark that for next time I need sausage skins.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:10 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:52 pm https://butchers-sundries.com/

There you go.
Prices aren't bad on there, I'll bookmark that for next time I need sausage skins.
They sell ‘domestic’ amounts too.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

How amazing! Thanks for that, jansman - they don't have the flat bit on the back to push down on when you're slicing through your turnip, though :? :oops: :D they're literally butchers knives. Though I do notice a *really* good price for the muslin - on websites and in shops primarily aimed at woman, its ten times the price!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:09 pm How amazing! Thanks for that, jansman - they don't have the flat bit on the back to push down on when you're slicing through your turnip, though :? :oops: :D they're literally butchers knives. Though I do notice a *really* good price for the muslin - on websites and in shops primarily aimed at woman, its ten times the price!
A butchery steak knife does have a fairly broad spine.They are tough.I don 't often use a cleaver,I cut and then whack the spine with a ' fat basher' ( a butchers ' hammer'), much to the horror of my colleague.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ah, I noticed the steak knives, I wondered whether they'd be something I could use. That just confirms it for me, when the lockdown is over, I'll go to Brighton and check out Nisbet's (which isn't on the old Steamer Trading site that I knew - that was Ship Street, Nisbets is outside the centre on London Road, traditionally it was quite a poor area even though its on the tourist route for cars/buses/coaches etc, but there's new investment coming in).

All good :)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

The steak knives have no heel on the blade, good for cutting steaks, (I have one and they're very good) not so good for chopping veg as you'll be bashing your knuckles all the time.

The right tool for the right job, it'll cost you the same anyway so you might as well get the one that's designed for what you want to do with it.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:23 am The steak knives have no heel on the blade, good for cutting steaks, (I have one and they're very good) not so good for chopping veg as you'll be bashing your knuckles all the time.

The right tool for the right job, it'll cost you the same anyway so you might as well get the one that's designed for what you want to do with it.
I wondered what effect the shape of the blade might have when I was cutting veg (and I wouldn't be cutting meat at all, of course). The right tool for the right job, you're spot on, thanks Jamesey :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

I will grant that the shape has a bearing, and of course I am used to using my particular type of blade. Just remember, even an expensive blade is just a piece of steel if it isn’t sharp.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Absolutely - I have one of those long, circular sharpeners, I had the chance to buy it at a very reduced rate, and took it :)