Shed with a hidden agenda

Homes and Retreats
HomeHardener

Shed with a hidden agenda

Post by HomeHardener »

So... I would like to use this current climate and time off work, to start making plans and a budget. The mrs is a hairdresser and since moving in we’ve always had the plan of removing our small shed that came with the house and putting a large shed at the back of the garden. It would be dual sided, one acting as a insulated salon type summer house (so it would have power. the other half as storage, lawnmower etc.

Currently 90% of my preps are under our bed, i can get a fair amount under there but I’d like to be able to store more, quite a lot more, but am too limited on Space.

I had an idea, tonight actually (I’m a bit of a night owl) of creating some sort of underground space under the new shed, accessible via the ‘shed/storage’ side of the shed via false floor or hidden hatch.

Does anyone here have any expertise in going under! Less of a bunker, so wouldn’t need to be strong as such, I know containers don’t do being buried too well, but what if you sunk a container into the ground and use it as a foundation for the shed itself, welding up all the doors etc and creating access through what was once the roof.
Or am I better off doing it out of concrete (I’m thinking craning a shipping container over my house wouldn’t be very discrete as it disappears into the ground!
@Homehardening_uk
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Shed with a hidden agenda

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Or concrete sewer pipe ?

Eg

https://www.jdpipes.co.uk/products-and- ... crete-pipe

Blank each end with a inspection chamber and ladder rings down from a manhole

But it won't be cheap
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:58 am Or concrete sewer pipe ?

Eg

https://www.jdpipes.co.uk/products-and- ... crete-pipe

Blank each end with a inspection chamber and ladder rings down from a manhole

But it won't be cheap
Hmm got me thinking now!
@Homehardening_uk
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Small cess pit tank or large plastic water tank the type with bolt on lid may be what you need.
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Good shout! Il look into that idea

I’m more worried about how il get away with digging the hole and nobody getting ideas
@Homehardening_uk
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

HomeHardener wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:05 am Good shout! Il look into that idea

I’m more worried about how il get away with digging the hole and nobody getting ideas
Just tell them that you're putting in a rainwater harvesting system to use to flush your loo and be more eco friendly, they'll just think you're a hippie.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:11 am
HomeHardener wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:05 am Good shout! Il look into that idea

Just tell them that you're putting in a rainwater harvesting system to use to flush your loo and be more eco friendly, they'll just think you're a hippie.
Good idea!
Very vague plans so far but it’ll be around 9ft wide and 7ft long. Not sure on depth yet but I’d like to be able to stand so 6ft, with a concrete roof acting as the floor for the shed.
@Homehardening_uk
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I would tell my neighbours that my mother in law was planning to visit and I was just making "preperations".... ;)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

In my last house there was a fishpond which itself had been built from the sections of an old air raid shelter. It was around five feet square and a shade under three feet deep. It also sat just where i wanted to put my shed so once i'd emptied it i built the shed on top leaving a good sized trap door in the shed floor. I put in removable joists so the trapdoor could remain reasonably light but still support the work i was doing in the shed. Worked a treat although for a couple of years i had frogs returning "home" .
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere then someone is likely to see you digging a hole of that size especially if you are using machinery. Or see the trucks taking away the spoil which will be considerable.
I suppose if time isn't too much of a concern but keeping it secret is then digging it out by hand once the shed is in place is always an option. Cast the top of the bunker before the shed goes in so it is effectively the sheds foundations , dig down a little way and build the retaining wall (ie the sides of the bunker) from the top down in the same way wells were built. That way you won't have a lot of waste in a short period of time and can bring in the bricks or blocks a few at a time and shouldn't attract attention.
However , having said all that it's an awful lot of work , time and expense for something that will give you very little return. Might be better to build a garage on the side of the house. Just as much storage and having it built won't attract that much interest plus it'll add value to the house much more so that a dirty great hole in the ground will should you ever decide to move.
Scruffmcbuff

Post by Scruffmcbuff »

Digging and building basements and underground structures is what i do for a living. Happy to offer any advice.