Lockdown?

How are you preparing
redskies

Re: Lockdown?

Post by redskies »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:38 pm My one and only bus has stopped. No buses anywhere near this village now. I begin to feel isolated now.. If anything happens to the husband then I might as well be on the moon :shock: :mrgreen:

Same with our buses, Lil. We're around 25 miles from the hospital, on awful roads. On the flip side, we can probably call in a helo if needed, and, since we have a car, whilst it would probably be conditional on everyone in the vehicle gearing up, we'd take folk if they needed to go.
redskies

Post by redskies »

This might help explain why things are being taken out of online delivery baskets?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... deliveries
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

redskies wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 pm
diamond lil wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:38 pm My one and only bus has stopped. No buses anywhere near this village now. I begin to feel isolated now.. If anything happens to the husband then I might as well be on the moon :shock: :mrgreen:

Same with our buses, Lil. We're around 25 miles from the hospital, on awful roads. On the flip side, we can probably call in a helo if needed, and, since we have a car, whilst it would probably be conditional on everyone in the vehicle gearing up, we'd take folk if they needed to go.
We live around 50 yards from a bus stop and have several go past on a daily basis. They are normally a fair few people on these buses but in the past few days i've seen double deckers go by with only one or two people on board. I've read elsewhere of bus companies cutting back by up to 80% and i can see why. If nobody or at least very few people are travelling then it makes sense although removing the only bus sees a bit harsh.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

If the husband got ill or was taken to hospital then I cant get out of here at all. Not to go to the doctor or a shop. Not amused!
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:22 pm I have had some serious dental work done recently, and basically have a temporary crown, awaiting the real deal in 2 weeks. It should have been 2 weeks AGO,but my dentist bailed to self- isolate. Got a call earlier... no dentist until further notice. If any of you have a dental emergency, it’s 111 ; good luck with that! All dentists have been stood down.
Empathies. Had the same this week - cracked molar. By luck I have a friend who runs a clinic and a manufacturing lab. Eye-wateringly expensive but got turned around in 36 hours.

It’s very much who you know at the moment. If you are anywhere near North London I’d be happy to try a help you out. Teeth are a bastard and having gone through it myself I’d be happy to help.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:29 pm
hobo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:22 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:00 pm It’s the lack of green stuff that concerns me. Hopefully on Sunday we can nail a bit of fresh veg. One oversight was very little frozen in stock. Mind you, we did have some coming and the slot just disappeared.
Plenty in the supermarkets last time I looked on Tuesday though also try the little veg shops - at least 2 near us are doing deliveries.
Mrs J cannot go out until Sunday( until 100% zero fever free). We are getting by on what we have. We have a few carrots and a white cabbage, and the boss makes a lovely coleslaw with that. We have perpetual spinach and micro greens in the tunnel/ garden. Eldest would go for us , but she is asthmatic. She goes to her office from home and is isolated at either end. She has Ocado slots booked so has no need to mix.
I would be happy to share supplies with you if you are anywhere 50 miles-ish near North London. Ping me if useful.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Your offers are most kind Bosworth, but thankfully not necessary. Just got to be careful with the tooth. Supply- wise we are absolutely fine. It was just fresh stuff that concerned me ( a little). Ordinarily, my garden and greenhouses would have sufficed, but over the Winter I have totally redesigned my garden. Talk about poor timing!

Anyhow, our local Asian off licences seem to have everything we need, so that’ll do!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Bosworth that's very generous, great to see us preppers sticking together.
Jansman I'm the same. Were due to get a new shed so left the whole garden until we had decided where it was going etc etc. Now we've decided to leave the damn shed to see if we live through the year :mrgreen: - but I can't get hold of seeds anywhere. And all the plants on ebay are PRE ORDER so I'm not sure whether to go for that and make sure I get some veg at some point.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:09 am No.We simply realised the symptoms .Sunday morning Mrs J. started coughing like a machine gun firing.Went on for 12 hours. I had an intermittent cough,and we both had a high temperature at various times.That came in 'waves' if that makes sense? Also aching legs at times. Feel great now.
That sounds pretty much like what I had. Including the waves bit. I'm still coughing, have a sore throat and my ears are blocked but otherwise I'm fine. On the BBC this morning a doctor reiterated the big two symptoms of high temperature and dry cough, but then said they're also seeing some patients with C-19 who also have diarrhoea or conjunctivitis: I went down with conjunctivitis for the first time in my life! :shock: This was the first time I've heard conjunctivitis mentioned, but then I guess it's still early days and they're just trying to work out the most common symptoms. I'm still not sure if it was C-19 or flu and won't know for sure until I can get the antibody test. However, the Scottish chief medical bod on the BBC this morning said that the flu season is pretty much over and if you have symptoms it's likely to be C-19 rather than flu! Given I've had it mildly I'd really like this to have been C-19!

As for dentists...one thing I've been meaning to get around to for about six months is to deal with a grumbling molar...I didn't...and now I really wish I had! Another learning experience: don't put off what you can get done today because when you finally really need it to be done, it might not be possible anymore.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:22 pm I have had some serious dental work done recently, and basically have a temporary crown, awaiting the real deal in 2 weeks. It should have been 2 weeks AGO,but my dentist bailed to self- isolate. Got a call earlier... no dentist until further notice. If any of you have a dental emergency, it’s 111 ; good luck with that! All dentists have been stood down.
Oh crap. That's not good. I am in the same position with my eyes. Two pairs of glasses (that should have been sorted before lockdown, but went tits up due to the factory and the opticians both making mistakes resulting in the specs that did arrive having to be sent back to the factory on the Wednesday before we were locked down by BoJo) have just disappeared into the ether, along with my new contact lenses. The optician has closed and buggered off back to his practice in Halifax, basically leaving his customers that frequent the other practice (me) completely screwed. Opticians have been told they can open for essential treatment but the locum optician has also disappeared.

Jansman - temporary crowns can last quite a while as long as you are gentle with them. Good luck!