Antihistamine alternatives

Medical and Healthcare
Oakelm

Antihistamine alternatives

Post by Oakelm »

If this topic has been covered before do drop me a link to the post.

So the current fun has highlighted I am not as well stocked on an item as I thought which is antihistamines in particular the cetirizine hydrochloride type. My hayfever doesn’t normally kick in this early or this harshly but this year it has, less than a months supply left which is a big oversight for me even in normal times, I blame the OH for taking from the stash not the normal use area and not telling me and I have done a stock take for a while. I’m sure I can get more when I need it and not the worst if I can’t I just look like I have been crying all day.

But it got me thinking for longer term prepping has anyone come across a natural alternative anything homemade without trying to recreate the drug itself. I have seen a few old wives tales but nothing that anyone has actively tried so any pointers appreciated and this year could be the year to self experiment to see how effective they are.

As an alternative anyone had any luck weaning themselves off them without being an eye watering and sneezing mess for months?
Jamesey1981

Re: Antihistamine alternatives

Post by Jamesey1981 »

My mrs suffers very badly with hayfever, I get it too, but only from the tree pollen so it doesn't last that long.

She has a spoonful of local honey every morning, that means she only has to take 1 antihistamine rather than multiple ones, can't be 100% sure it does anything as we haven't done a double blind test or anything, but she says it helps.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Good Luck
Last edited by cbp125 on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakelm

Post by Oakelm »

Thanks both

Local honey that makes sense in a way, an easy one for the experiment list this year as we have local honey producers and in final house when we get a large enough property bees will be on list to have.
I didn’t used to suffer as much as a kid and come to think of it used to eat a lot more local honey than I do now as it was ok when sweets weren’t in my family. :roll:

And shall look into that type of mask which can easily serve as a dual purpose item depending on event. I think during Covid you will get less strange looks than a normal day walking down the street. Could be a bit of interesting fun to walk around with it on 6 months after everything calms down.

Another I have been researching for the experiment list is nettle seed, nettle leaves have kidney function concerns from long term use but seed doesn’t seem to have the same issue but more research needed.

Anymore ideas then keep them coming, I will come back and share anything I notice after a good 12 months, I get symptoms most of the year so I’m a good long term guinea pig.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Not a sufferer, but those I know swear by local honey.... Make sure its raw and unfiltered as these processes take out the bit that does you good (pollen traces maybe?)

One of the other things I've been told about is using a Neti pot to flush your sinuses.... This doesn't treat the allergy so much as reduce 'build up' of pollen
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

cbp125 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am I suffer from severe hayfever and asthma, so not a great combination with that corona about. I have taken to using an allergy mask which has totally removed the need for anti histamines. I am using a Respro Cycling mask, the cheap £25 ones, however they even do an allergy mask with double filters which I will upgrade to when money allows, but the normal cycling mask (city model) is working very well.

I am sure I look stupid but I now carry it everywhere and if I can smell something I mask up. If anyone starts mowing a lawn I mask up, at the moment, I just tend to wear it perminatly out of the house due to corona.

I am fed up of being drugged up with anti histamines so this seems to work for me.

Good Luck

Once the shit storm calms down look into these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/gvs-elipse-h ... r-p3/6922g

Very light. Very slim on the face (no filters sticking out)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:21 pm
cbp125 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am I suffer from severe hayfever and asthma, so not a great combination with that corona about. I have taken to using an allergy mask which has totally removed the need for anti histamines. I am using a Respro Cycling mask, the cheap £25 ones, however they even do an allergy mask with double filters which I will upgrade to when money allows, but the normal cycling mask (city model) is working very well.

I am sure I look stupid but I now carry it everywhere and if I can smell something I mask up. If anyone starts mowing a lawn I mask up, at the moment, I just tend to wear it perminatly out of the house due to corona.

I am fed up of being drugged up with anti histamines so this seems to work for me.

Good Luck

I have a half face mask already that I use for DIY, my cycling mask I find more comfortable for longer wearing.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

cbp125 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:08 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Good Luck

I have a half face mask already that I use for DIY, my cycling mask I find more comfortable for longer wearing.
Fair enough last summer at the pollen peak I sat in a full face mask after a shower it was bliss
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Would it be controversial to say to just buy a shed-load? Zyrtec and equivalents are cheap as chips and very available - amazon have bull packs that can be delivered next day.

Easier option?
omega man

Post by omega man »

Bosworth wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 pm Would it be controversial to say to just buy a shed-load? Zyrtec and equivalents are cheap as chips and very available - amazon have bull packs that can be delivered next day.

Easier option?

cbp125 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am