Lockdown?

How are you preparing
peejay

Re: Lockdown?

Post by peejay »

...and once news gets around that this kind of charging will be required, there'll be a larger than normal demand for such chargers, and for the rest there'll be a larger than normal demand for replacement 12v batteries! :-D

[Edit: Where are most 12v batteries manufactured? With Europe being weeks ahead of us in status they might hit demand for the batteries/chargers before we get to that point!]
korolev

Post by korolev »

korolev wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:55 am
I'm getting the train to meet my mates in the pub tomorrow, going to a football stadium on Saturday and flying to Spain next week.

Bovvered ? Nah.
So, that ended well. Cut the holiday short by 2 weeks and cost us £300 to get the last two seats on the last scheduled flight back home (the alternative being to try and get on a rescue flight "some time").
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

korolev wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:08 pm So, that ended well. Cut the holiday short by 2 weeks and cost us £300 to get the last two seats on the last scheduled flight back home (the alternative being to try and get on a rescue flight "some time"
Welcome home sorry you're plans got scrapped but at least you're on familiar ground now.

Went shopping yesterday for the last time, mainly to get more cash so that I can give others the money to shop for me in the future. Family all happy now they have won the argument ( they haven't really I choose to stay home myself). Needed have bothered going shopping there was nothing left late morning.
omega man

Post by omega man »

Well we are now officially locked down here :shock:

At 12:00pm yesterday our entire site was called to an open air meeting in the car-park (2m apart).
We've been sent home with immediate effect due to the coronavirus pandemic. Company have decided to embrace Boris's deal and will be paying me 80% of my wages moving forward.
There'll be a review in 3 weeks time between the Directors via video call and we'll get regular email updates throughout.
This company employs 600+ people across 6 sites. I think they've done the morally correct thing, especially since our output is 'non essential'.
We've several staff off from one site that's starting to look like a cluster. (1 of that team recently returned from Madrid)

I feel relief mainly, with the work I do it's basically impossible to maintain a 2m distance.

So for now I'll potter with some D.I.Y jobs around the house and garden, get a few miles in on my mountain bike once a day and watch this Shit storm unfold!

Anybody else in a similar situation?

OM

I'll just take inventory of the freezer AGAIN :tinfoil :lol:
Last edited by omega man on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I was invited to a meeting last Monday at work with about 13 other people, all the major players on the project I'm working on ATM.

Got an email on Monday saying that 2 of the attendees of that meeting are "showing symptoms" so all have to self-isolate! Luckily I didn't actually attend the meeting in the end as I was at a hospital appointment!

It's CRAZY though - the project I'm working on is consolidating 3 factories/offices into one super-site, and they're STILL pushing for an "moving in date" of 1st April (appropriate!) where they're apparently planning on holding a board-meeting!

Insane...
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'm self employed and in maintenance and to be honest the work i do isn't really essential. Yesterday after the announcement i didn't go to work on that basis but it seems i'll be ok to work after the details were cleared up. I can't for the most part work at home but then i tend to work on my own so can maintain that social distancing. I have suspended internal work so don't need to enter anyones home. How much my work contributes to keeping the economy going is a moot point. I've had several calls from customers and will be working for the rest of the week. With things changing on a daily basis that might all change. On the thinking that i would have to stay at home i went to the builders merchants yesterday to get timber. Most merchants around here were closed although the one i use regulary was open with restrictions. Trade only , no public , one van in one out , payments on account or by card no cash , and keypads and the like disinfected after each customer. Watching the tv this morning it looks like an announcement is on the way regarding the self employed which i may take advantage of. To be honest personally it's not a money issue , i can survive easily for a while without income , that's after all what prepping is all about.
omega man

Post by omega man »

peejay wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:37 am I was invited to a meeting last Monday at work with about 13 other people, all the major players on the project I'm working on ATM.

Got an email on Monday saying that 2 of the attendees of that meeting are "showing symptoms" so all have to self-isolate! Luckily I didn't actually attend the meeting in the end as I was at a hospital appointment!

It's CRAZY though - the project I'm working on is consolidating 3 factories/offices into one super-site, and they're STILL pushing for an "moving in date" of 1st April (appropriate!) where they're apparently planning on holding a board-meeting!

Insane...
Nice turn of fate you had that hospital appointment! :)

To be honest a few of us at our place were starting to think the company was 'hanging back' to see how many of us might self cert and self isolate. After the lockdown speech though they had little choice but a bold sweeping decision, since many office staff had been "working from home" whilst the more
hands-on employees were clearly breaking the government guidance on proximity.

OM
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

We're a small company (workforce of four.... Two of which are part time) in a decent sized factory, so my social distancing can be measured in tens of metres.
Looks like deliveries (I drive the van) are going to be divided into places that are closed and places I can dump&run.

Both my dance team and re-enactment group were put on hold until further notice a fortnight ago, so I haven't been anywhere except work

As a result I'm only going to interact with about five people outside my household, and all of those at a distance.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mrs J and me have ( had) the virus.cough,fever and aching limbs.Very mild.Mrs J can go out foraging on Sunday,I have to go another week.Garden is immaculate!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Good news J!