Disposal of waste....

Homes and Retreats
HomeHardener

Disposal of waste....

Post by HomeHardener »

Good afternoon!
I’m waiting for the imminent cancellation of weekly bin disposal.
I have a compost bin I use for as much as I can but it’ll only hold so much.
What’s my next route for waste disposal, a incinerator?
Surely there’s only so much I can burn?
@Homehardening_uk
Jamesey1981

Re: Disposal of waste....

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Find your nearest student HMO, dump your rubbish in their front garden, they won't notice the difference if the ones near here are anything to go by.

Being sensible, burning it is probably the only viable option otherwise it will attract animals, then burying the leftovers, could only keep that going for so long though.

If collections do stop then there's going to be a lot of fly tipping going on.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Most of my rubbish is plastic wrappers, eg of cheese, or the 500g packs of dried beans sold in supermarkets, things like that. Tissues can either go down the loo the same as toilet paper, or be burnt. I can't burn plastic, I'd probably kill myself with dioxins or whatever (no idea what's actually in plastic wrappings these days, but I wouldn't want to breathe it), but my council-issued wheelie bin would last for a *long* time at the rate I fill it up - the bag that 1kg of frozen broccoli comes in would last a week, I tape it shut with sellotape!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I waited till dark and torched a incinerator bin of plastic bags and crap last night once dark once the incinerator got upto temperature it didn't give off "much" smoke compared to burning it on a bonfire it was going like a rocket stove / jet of flame out the top chimney helped by the wind forcing air in the bottom...

Not usually something I'd do but needs must as I'm not carting it to the tip at the moment
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'd rather not burn plastic if i can avoid it and would try to store it if possible for disposal when things return to "normalish" . I've worked on a number of old domestic places and it seems people had a problem in the past not with plastic but with glass. It doesn't burn or rot away and i've often come across buried glass. I wouldn't want to do that with plastic either . It will break down and leech into the soil.
A little while ago there were a series of strikes by refuse collectors in birmingham and of course it was reported on the news. The general response seemed to be to bag up the rubbish and just leave it on the streets. There was some who did do tip runs and an increase in flytipping but i saw no mention of people burning the rubbish.
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

So I’m under the impression my best bet is to store away metallic, plastic and glass recycling or take to the tip where possible.

Compost food waste and some paper waste to keep the heap balanced.

Burn everything else (where possible) to save bin space as much as possible
@Homehardening_uk
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yep, I'd say thats about it. Keeping the lid on your bin with a couple (or more) of bricks is a good idea too.

If "everything else" also includes rags (stained t shirts, threadbare sheets, etc etc) they can go to any charity shop that takes rags - I'm wearing things to destruction at the moment, and quite a lot has ended up bailed up in this way.

There's also a lot of repetitive posting online about human urine deterring pests - I'm a bit tired right now, no way can I look for that and find anything intelligent, but DYOR, it might be worth trying.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'm highly dubious about the urine thing. When i'm working i use a bottle in the back of the van and latter sprinkle it on the compost heaps. I've seen vermin on the compost heaps and don't rats live down sewers where most of it ends up?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Burn everything that isnt glass. At night if need be. This is where a coal fire is very handy :mrgreen:
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Urine will deter foxes, only men's urine though, sets off their territorial warnings, can't imagine rats will care though.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.