What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
hobo

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by hobo »

It looks like in 2 weeks we'll probably be where Italy and Spain are now. Both are placing restrictions on movement, including no going out for leisure.
Assuming UK will do the same, it would mean I wouldn't be able to get to my allotment :( :( :(
So today I've been busy moving what I can to set up my backyard as a mini allotment!
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Would the allotment not be classed as "going out for food"??? I was planning to still go to mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

First cut of the grass this year almost induced a heart attack :mrgreen:

Neighbour, her daughter and granddaughter self isolating with a cold (hopefully) have food but running low on bog roll.

Threw a 9 pack over the fence..... :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've just finished renewing the water supply in my 2litre bottles - took ages, because I wanted to recycle the old water by using it to flush the toilet, from a plastic bucket, not the bottles themselves, of course!

I bought *another* mint plant earlier this week - I must have bought four over the last few years, and never got them in the ground. This one, I repotted in to a lovely ceramic pot, fresh soil, blah blah ... determined to have a lovely strong mint plant - I have just the right border to put it in eventually.

ETA - just seen pseudonym's post chucking bog roll over a fence - good for you!
omega man

Post by omega man »

pseudonym wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:06 pm First cut of the grass this year almost induced a heart attack :mrgreen:

Neighbour, her daughter and granddaughter self isolating with a cold (hopefully) have food but running low on bog roll.

Threw a 9 pack over the fence..... :mrgreen:
good for you! :D
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Spent all day today out in the garden. Did quite a lot of tidying, fed all the fruit trees and planted lots of seeds in the greenhouse. Everything we grow is in containers which takes up a bit of space so I have re-purposed the large garden table as a platform to put more containers on as I think we need to grow as much as we can this year. Taught one of my daughters how to blanche vegetables the other day and how to make yoghurt in a flask, she phoned today today with her progress, best Mother's day present ever!
Growing old disgracefully!
hobo

Post by hobo »

cbp125 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:55 pm Would the allotment not be classed as "going out for food"??? I was planning to still go to mine
Good thinking!
bobble

Post by bobble »

Been planting spuds and onion setts. Also sorted out greenhouse and planted up as many different seeds as possible in trays ready to plant out when they germinate. Have already emptied out the compost on to the plots and dug it in. Getting ready in case the food supply really becomes a problem later in the year. Wishing we had space for some pygmy goats for milk....maybe one day when we win the lotto!
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

bobble wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:13 pm Wishing we had space for some pygmy goats for milk....maybe one day when we win the lotto!
Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.Quote hobo
by hobo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:55 pm
You'll need that lottery win, have you seen the price of them these days, wish i'd got some a few years ago you could get them for pennies.
Been digging over the veg patch, as much as I could anyway and sowing seeds in the greenhouse. Planted 3 red currant bushes. will sow some more tomorrow and sort out the strawberries. I feel that we need what we can grow more and more as the year goes on, won't be wasted even if I'm wrong.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have used my isolation to do a LOT of household maintenance, and pleased with the results too. Also the garden: holding back, as things will sail away as soon as we get a bit more warmth. I have spuds in pots ( in the tunnel) tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers germinated, but kept warm. Radish sown and lettuce is well on the way. I have trays of micro greens are coming on. Pea shoots, beet leaves and salad greens.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.