What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Arzosah »

My prep this week is that I got home from my forn parts holiday today :) and I haven't fallen ill yet (though I did have 3 days seasickness at the beginning). I've been reading some of the site online, without logging in, so I still have lots to catch up on. The UK news made me more concerned about the train journey home from the port than about contracting the virus on the dratted ship.

My preps:
- took lots of bitty things to do - knitting projects, books on kindle, in case we got quarantined. I knitted a grey chenille fingerless glove, its lurvely.
- learned some pilates exercises to strengthen my core (very simple, also quiet to do late at night.
- took some masks along - gave one to my sister, as she could deconstruct it and make more.
- I had a whole pack of waterproof plasters with me - it occurred to me that if the virus gets into your body through a cut, its just as bad as if it gets in through your mouth/ eyes etc.
- constant handwashing and sanitising!
- I got home very early (took a train that didn't take me through London too, hurray) and decided to walk home from the station, since my new luggage trolley is so well behaved. I was all hand sanitised up, including my luggage handles, and I *really* didn't want to deal with another taxi driver.
- switched the water full on as soon as I came in, and showered and showered and showered after starting to unpack.
- starting to do my washing now: 60 degrees, not 30, and a capful of disinfectant in the wash as well as the detergent, a tip from my sister.
- found out that in terms of food preps, my sister can justifiably be called a prepper! Water, fuel, first aid supplies, a bit dodgy, but great beginnings.
- When I saw what was happening with UK supermarkets, I downloaded the Asda app while still in Spain (never shopped on an app before!) and this morning on the train, I placed an order - first available space was a week tomorrow! I'll do a shop in person tomorrow, I'm just glad to have got some kind of order booked.

I'm seriously glad to be home. Someone got taken off our ship by the Coastguard helicopter because they were "normally" ill (given the age of those we saw, we're guessing heart problems - I've got some pix of the helicopter to download. It was fascinating as an event, but that poor person is now in intensive care in Spain. Other forms of health matter too.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I mentioned to the OH a couple of weeks ago that council services might end up being cut/switched to other priorities so suggested bins might have issues but she couldn't see why. Read today that Wales are looking at doing exactly that, reducing collections from bi-weekly to monthly (side-comment: Once they're monthly I bet they don't ever go back to bi-weekly) so today I grabbed an incinerator bin to burn waste just in case, plus made sure I have plenty of bin bags...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

peejay wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:01 pm I mentioned to the OH a couple of weeks ago that council services might end up being cut/switched to other priorities so suggested bins might have issues but she couldn't see why. Read today that Wales are looking at doing exactly that, reducing collections from bi-weekly to monthly (side-comment: Once they're monthly I bet they don't ever go back to bi-weekly) so today I grabbed an incinerator bin to burn waste just in case, plus made sure I have plenty of bin bags...

I bought one last week :mrgreen: :tinfoil worst bit is that they are advising to double bag snot rags and bin it... Put in bin bags cat shreds bag contaminated material blowing down the street
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

Snot rags prob best burnt if it comes to it
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Question to the house:

Is Bio ethanol any use as a sanitiser ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

At last finally got the last 4 boxes of Baby wipes, Extra 100 litres of diesel and powdered eggs and milk.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:12 pm Question to the house:

Is Bio ethanol any use as a sanitiser ?
As far as I can tell yes providing it is over 60% alcohol. It will be harsh on your skin if using it as a hand sanitiser but should be ok on hard surfaces. But possibly not some plastics. Test before use! And don't drink it! https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... kill-virus
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Bought 2 tomato grow bags and 3 more bags of veg compost. Started the lettuce seeds in the propagator. Parsnips started off in kitchen roll tubes or 2 loo roll tubes on top of each other so hopefully I don't spoil the roots when I plant them out unlike last year when they all balled and twisted up. So my food preps this week have been long term growing related. I also brought some more camping gaz cartidges and a couple of bags of charcoal for the bbq so if power should ever go off/be restricted I have other means of cooking. I already have camping stoves but hey, extra gas isn't a bad thing. The other thing I bought for £20 was a bucket loo - not a chemi one just a plain and simple removable bucket and seat affair. Meant to get one last year when we were out camping etc but again - probably it won't get that bad but it won't take much for a few more muppets than normal to block up the system and cause issues by flushing non- flushable stuff - esp if refuse collections do become sparse. Again highly unlikely but hey - how many of us truly thought that we would need to put our preps into action? We all prep for the worst and hope for the best.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I would like to ask all you veg growers and allotment people a question?

What could you grow on your allotment for breakfast???

All I could think of was frying up sliced potatoes or hash browns, maybe some fruit/berries. I know you can grow quenua or armathinth but I have not heard of any allotment oat growing so...

What other ideas do people have?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

cbp125 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:57 pm I would like to ask all you veg growers and allotment people a question?

What could you grow on your allotment for breakfast???

All I could think of was frying up sliced potatoes or hash browns, maybe some fruit/berries. I know you can grow quenua or armathinth but I have not heard of any allotment oat growing so...

What other ideas do people have?
We are allowed chickens.... If it really goes shtf and we get locked in I'm fetching them home to the garden as let's be fair someone will pinch them for food IF it gets much worse we've 2 spare rabbit hutches that I can soon convert to a coup
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine