So what have we learnt?

How are you preparing
jansman

So what have we learnt?

Post by jansman »

I have been at this survivalist/ prepping lark for a long time now.Down the years,online,the threads crop up about what will happen when SHTF.So,what have I learnt to be true up to now with the Panic - Demic?

1. People are greedy and selfish.
There is no altruism in most people,it's absolutely " I'm alright Jack", but I knew that anyway.

2.We are only 3 meals from anarchy.
That's an old survivalist saying,and I don't need to say more.

3. Your neighbour will kill for a tin of beans.
Maybe not yet,but see number 2 above. USDAW,the retail union has reported a spike above ' normal ' levels of verbal and physical abuse towards retail staff - yes it is a 'thing'!

4. Expect NO help from authorities.They might be telling us what to do,but they are not offering solutions either.You Are On Your Own ( YOYO).

5.The economic landscape as we now it now has had it's chips.

Bozo Johnson telling everone to stay away from pubs,restaurants,cinemas etc. etc. has just condemned those businesses to economic death. Easy as. Those businesses will go and not return. I reckon it will only be to payday and my own job will be gone.

6. If the taxes ain't going into the treasury,watch out. That will seriously affect pensions,benefits,NHS...you name it. Simple maths.The government doesn't pay state pensions from investment or a magic money tree. It takes the tax from workers this week,and pays out with that next week.Fact.

That's up to now...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Re: So what have we learnt?

Post by Arwen Thebard »

People will remain in DENIAL for a very long time, regardless of the media hype and govt info / advice. And not just the sheeple, its true of some preppers.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

On the selfish and greedy aspect i'll pinch a quote i read elsewhere . "Evolution favours species that do what works rather than species that do the 'right' thing". Or to put it a other way each looks after their own . Ants don't store food to help the grasshoppers , lions don't share their kill with hyenas or even worry the hyena might starve , they all look after themselves , it's nature. There's a very good argument that we as preppers are just as self centered as the ant and the lion. Doesn't make us evil , just a product of evolution.
Your second two points i wouldn't argue with . In some ways i find it quite ironic that the most intelligent species ever to exist on this planet seems to have lost the ability to think ahead . Ants , bees and squirrels can do it.
I tend to think you're right about the economy too. There is currently a lot of industries and services clamouring for government assistance from theatre to airlines and i dare say the government will extend help to many by borrowing a lot more . There's going to be an awful lot of debt created and the can will be kicked a little bit further.
One aspect of the panic buying that amuses me is how we seem to be accepting that it's all our ( the population as a whole our) fault. We have a consumer economy , if we don't buy suppliers don't earn but they are the ones that brought in JIT and reduced warehousing and when they can't supply increased demand they lay the blame at the feet of consumers.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Workmate removed someone from the local CO Op last night young girl on the till refusing 12 bottles of bleach ...

Manager looked scared of Mr aggressive..

then Bob who was waiting for his shopping in the queue couldn't take the young lass been verbally abused. Who by now was in tears ... He said he remained diplomatic until the bloke swore at him and got in his face.....

So he bodily removed him from the shop never mess with an engineer they are bears wearing oily overalls as a disguise :mrgreen:

As he was packing his bag manager passed him a twin pack of cream cakes as a thank you :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've always been an adherent to the slow crash thing but i'm beginning to wonder if it's speeding up a bit?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:55 am People will remain in DENIAL for a very long time, regardless of the media hype and govt info / advice. And not just the sheeple, its true of some preppers.
STOP CALLING PEOPLE SHEEPLE.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:32 am
Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:55 am People will remain in DENIAL for a very long time, regardless of the media hype and govt info / advice. And not just the sheeple, its true of some preppers.
Serious question: Are we allowed to refer to some theoretical group (by characteristic) as 'docile people'?

E.G. I spotted a group of docile people who seemed to be in denial.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:38 am
itsybitsy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:32 am
Serious question: Are we allowed to refer to some theoretical group (by characteristic) as 'docile people'?

E.G. I spotted a group of docile people who seemed to be in denial.
Stop being ridiculous.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I was not trying to be ridiculous. I raised a serious question. But ok. I'll drop it.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:47 am I was not trying to be ridiculous. I raised a serious question. But ok. I'll drop it.
Please do. Any further derogatory comments referring to 'sheeple', 'the great unwashed' and the like will be met with a ban. Play nice, or don't play.