Will there be food shortages in the UK?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Will there be food shortages in the UK?

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:58 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:47 pm You're thinking of c**k womble?
Indeed

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:49 pm Got to be a sportsman.
Sorry I can never take shooting game birds seriously - I blame Monty Python's upper class twits, then there's the NOBS.. not helping my mental pictures at all
Well I am a country boy,born and bred,not a townie.We will agree to differ on that one.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:29 pm
nightowl wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:05 pm I always think when I see things like this that, although well-intentioned, it's going to have the opposite effect to what the shops' hoped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51883440
Indeed a big red button with do not press written underneath, The press caused the very panic they are now criticizing, the politicians who have lied to us for decades about just about everything to some extent must also accept some responsibility for causing a lack of public trust, at this point it ****es me off to a degree that I'll get the look or comment for doing my normal shop for a family of 5 adults, and because there was no bog roll last week I now need to buy two lots to stand still and look like a panic buyer :evil:

Perhaps I should worry more about getting mugged for it in my way to the car though eh?
Nothing to do with the media.Just idiot people.

Robert Frost.

Me.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Lone wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:43 pm I must admit to liking my teas and coffees, but never really considered buying powdered milk, or even checked to see if they still do that coffee-mate stuff...as recently read milk is also being depleted from shelves, and told to think about others more in need of stuff.

Any recommendations for decent powdered stuff...as coffees start and continue my day...that said, if not...I can drink it without milk even powdered, but why do without if there is such an option, that is long-lasting too...even without people panic-buying
I used to recommend Sainsbury's Basics dried milk. I thought it the best of all the skimmed dried milks available. But they stopped selling it. :cry: I now buy Nido - which is usually in the "ethnic foods" aisles (Caribbean) rather than the long life/dried milk aisles. Full fat and much more expensive than the Sainsbury's Basics, but dissolves very well (teaspoon in a cup of coffee, just make sure it's not too hot - if making instant I add a little cold water first, fresh coffee is filtered anyway and so is off the boil by the time I add the powder) and tastes good. 3 heaped teaspoons in 200ml of cold water to make "fresh" milk for pouring on your cereals. I drink my tea black so can't recommend it in tea as I don't know. Also comes in nice big tins with reusable plastic lids which have to be good for something!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Other options for milk are the vegan choices, all very easy to make, I prefer rice milk, but have also made Soya milk and Oat milk, which is the most productive. Basically soak the beans/grains in water overnight then blend them in a strong blender, then heat up in a pan until hot. Once cooled you can strain for smooth milk or leave the bits in depending on your preferance. It lasts for a few days in the fridge and only uses a handful of beans to make a few ltrs of milk. I am not a vegan or veggy but I try to keep a diverse range of food sources.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

As i live in the back of beyond and don't drive OH has to take me shopping, this is usually once a week so I have to bulk buy stuff like bread, milk etc to last a week. Not so easy now and gets me filthy looks if theres 6 loaves in my trolley. I have some spare in my freezer but had to use some as the last twice I went there was none of my choice left so I only bought a couple of others. Will be fine as I've plenty flour and yeast. Trouble is my homemade bread is rubbish :? Not too worried as thank god for the preps ! But it does seem to me that civil unrest is not as far away as I would like, or is that just scare mongering.
Memory strike - remember my late father telling me how to - catch - a pheasant by putting raisins soaks in whisky in a narrow headed jar, pheasant puts head in has trouble getting out but if he does he's so drunk you can pick him up :lol:
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

Latest supermarket update (based on visit to big Tesco):

Toilet roll aisle completely empty, not even the pricier stuff left. Local Asian shops have tonnes of the stuff left though.

All packets of pasta and rice gone. Smaller microwave types of rice and dry pasta in sauce still available.

Long life milk all gone. Plenty of plant based ones which have a long date on them still available.

Eggs all gone.

Shelves starting to empty of tinned products, especially obvious ones like baked beans, corned beef, hot dogs, sweetcorn, peas etc. Still some available but all cheaper own-brand types have gone.

Lots more bottled water than usual noticeable in people's trolleys although there seems to be plenty still in stock... for the moment.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Never could understand bottled water,when we have a good,clean municipal supply.Anyone worried can fill clean bottles!!! I really wish I'd got in on that bottled water gig in the 80's,what a con!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Lone

Post by Lone »

I’m not one for pasta, but unless it is a joke, Ann Summers I think has a shaped pasta for sale 3 for 2, but when you read what the shape is, it’ll make you waver about buying ! :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Ann Summers getting in on the action ? Seems others are ,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... began.html
Sorry it's the daily fail
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

Update from supermarket visit today...

Gone: bog roll, tissue, long life milk, pasta, rice, several types of fresh veg like potatoes and carrots, several types of fresh meat like chicken and sausages, most frozen veg, tins like baked beans and other veg, bread.

Starting to thin out: breakfast cereals, soups.