Lockdown?

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: Lockdown?

Post by jansman »

Me and Mrs J are not a bit concerned ( apart from the possibility of her next post cancer op being cancelled). What will be,will be. Talking of statistics etc. Here's one for ya: Its an absolute,100% certainty that everyone dies.

In my life up to now,I have survived Weils Disease,industrial accident, several motorbike crashes ( one extremely serious),falling down a borehole well, two firefights with IRA terrorists,and being in a border patrol that was blown up by a landmine. If my number is coming out of the Big Man's hat quite soon,then so be it. :D My wife has the same philosophy too.As she says, " After cancer,what's the worst that can happen? "

Don't panic.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
MancLife

Post by MancLife »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:38 am one figure I would like confirming is the death rate as a percentage of population for common flu etc, those figures we should know,
"The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%."

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronav ... h-flu.html
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

MancLife wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:07 am In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China.
That's my point 0.1% of what, total population? if we are talking total population and if China has 6 billion 2.3% would be almost 261 Million at the end of one year, so the annual figure in terms of percentage is what - they don't know yet China's numbers are in decline they say, but IMO that's only Whack a Mole round 1 ;) but still there is no evidence to support the outcome being worse than flu, the economic and life changing outcome for lifestyles and just about all other things already looks dire.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I think your figures are out a little , china's population is more like 1.4 billion but i whole heartedly agree with the premise of your other points. From what i see the mortality rates seem to be of those who are confirmed to have the virus rather than a percentage of the population as a whole. Given that many won't have any symptoms the percentage of those infected is at best a guess but surely those who die or have to be in ITUs are a known number to correlate with?
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:32 am I think your figures are out a little , china's population is more like 1.4 billion
I stand corrected thanks I was going from memory and got confused remembering of what they said it will be it will be, should have googled first :oops:

Otherwise the death toll accuracy is somewhat more reliable, although as we know what kills someone can often not be what is written on death certificates, much other pan, misery and death caused by this thing will be knock on effects, unlike the flu this one's a shit storm on many fronts now.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Meanwhile the over 70s are being put under house arrest this week. Preppers, send me sweetie parcels. :twisted:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:17 am Meanwhile the over 70s are being put under house arrest this week. Preppers, send me sweetie parcels. :twisted:
Not quite this week... Maybe soon. and only for about 4 months. They should be out in 2 with time off for good behaviour. :lol:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:17 am Meanwhile the over 70s are being put under house arrest this week. Preppers, send me sweetie parcels. :twisted:
We know you've already spent the household budget on choccies this month! You confessed that earlier!! :lol:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I DID NOT!!
I erm
spent some on wool.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Armageddon socks :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I know we haven't decided if they serve any actual purpose but won't that take out a good proportion of the house of lords? How will we cope...
Edit
Joking aside but aren't there a lot of judges and a few doctors of that age?