Gloves and coronavirus

Medical and Healthcare
nightowl

Gloves and coronavirus

Post by nightowl »

I've seen mixed messages about using sterile, medical-style gloves for going to the shops etc but have started to see a few people wearing them. Some organisations have pointed out, obviously, that they're no substitute for good hygiene and can lead people into a sense of false security. However, I've also seen stories about some police forces around the world now starting to distribute them to officers. Any thoughts?
Nurseandy

Re: Gloves and coronavirus

Post by Nurseandy »

You should only wear "medical" type gloves for the duration of the procedure you're undertaking then remove them and wash hands.
Wearing them creates a lovely warm moist environment perfect for growing viruses & bacteria.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

If you can resist touching your face whilst wearing them... otherwise you would spread the same virus to your face as your ungloved hand.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

As said... The only value to gloves is in the immediate situation and as a reminder not to touch your face or other vulnerable areas.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

PPE is good for stopping cross contamination. i.e you wear a mask and gloves as you leave your home to go shopping, and then take them off (dispose of the gloves) and wash your hands once you get home. Don't listen to people saying masks are useless. If that were true HCPs and the whole of Asia wouldn't wear them now, would they? At the very least they stop you subconsciously touching your face when you forget which is better than no PPE at all.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Yes I'm another one who gloves would be little if any advantage, I'm a face and hair touching type, and I'm trying to curtail it, and at the shops given that goods are out there by people, touched by other shoppers, and the virus is reported to be able to survive on hard surfaces for up to 24 hours,you can see where I'm going, we do not even know whether the thing can be airborne and if so how much distance is safe? A bloody space suit wont save us if we bring it home on the shopping ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Plymtom wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:51 am... and the virus is reported to be able to survive on hard surfaces for up to 24 hours
Its 3 days in the right conditions :(