Lockdown?

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: Lockdown?

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:22 pm Is everyone on here genuinely prepared and ready for a two or three month lock down?
I have the stocks and resources for many more months than that. Obviously something overlooked. :(
But the withdrawal effects from not being able to scout Home Bargain and the getting stir crazy.... And the inevitable rows from being in close quarters with the other half.....

That could see a casualty in about 3 days. Then I might end up locked down in a cell with unlimited prison food. :D
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:22 pm is there anything we all might be missing from our preps? Anyone heard of or thought of anything else before its too late?

Is everyone on here genuinely prepared and ready for a two or three month lock down?
Have you prepped for entertainment, with 5 children to look after with hopefully no school... We have stocked up on playing cards, monopoly, cludo etc

I hope we are ready for a 3 month lock down, I have quite a stock of food for a family of 7, just hoping/planning to still pop down to my allotment even with a lock down as it is only a few minutes walk and very quiet down there.
peejay

Post by peejay »

The penny is JUST starting to drop with the OH, finally! For weeks now I've been saying about stocking up on "her" essentials (I've given up because every time I try to stock up on stuff she just ends up going through it until it's gone, then asking me to "pick up some <x> on the way home from work" which SERIOUSLY pee's me off!

I've just been strongly suggesting that she start stocking up on what SHE feels she'd miss if she wasn't able to either go to shops or receive from suspended home deliveries... Whist she was at it I started suggesting some other "normal" stuff and she's now realising that even in the Asda online shop things like toilet roll, kitchen roll, pasta etc. are ALL out of stock - she's flabbergasted - says "it doesn't make sense" & I pointed out that that is the point - this tuff happens through no real sense, but it happens!

It's a bit late but I think she's now on board with the concept. Luckily I have some stashes of essentials she doesn't have access to (such as toilet roll & some kitchen roll).

<5 mins later>
Well, she was doing ok but now she's distracted by poxy Easter eggs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Actually, yes lockdown is more than have u got enough food/pet food. There's only so much binge watching you can do :lol: If education establishments were shut so my job is shut down, that means I'd have to stay at home, well, my allotment would certainly be dragged up to optimum operating capacity. My garden needs lots of work, small as it is. I could also use the time for self education on any number of topic/skills. From a mental health point of view, as well as the physical, keeping busy is important, rather than being glued to the news.

So yes prep yourself as well as your supplies :)
Last edited by PreppingPingu on Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

We could manage for the two to three months although it might get a bit monotonous and of course there'd be very little in the way of fresh stuff. Looking at italy the shops are closing at the weekends according to the news tonight and going out for food is classed as a necessity so the population will have access although obviously one would prefer to reduce those contacts to a bare minimum. Financially i think is where many might find problems It was also saying on the news that the italian government is considering a freeze on tax payments and i've heard that some banks such as nat west are also considering deferring mortgage payments.
I can do a limited amount of work at home although i wouldn't get payment until restrictions were to be lifted. We have income from a rental property but as our tenants are self employed and part time there's probably a good chance that would dry up.
Still upside or trying to find the silver lining my diesel use would be nil and i'd have time to do all those jobs around the house and garden i've been meaning to do.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We could live 'boring for a 2 or 3 months and survive for a few more after that if need be. If we were being careful that could be stretched even further but I doubt we'd be that frugal at the start of a lock down, food (from experience) is key when you're in a mundane situation, its one of the things you look forward to and can even be the way you count your days if certain days are set aside for certain food. We've run our luxuries down recently due to
'necessity' (or short termism if you prefer) but we'll get by in the event of a lock down. I've water and access to water, plenty fuel and as its getting lighter solar to charge powerbanks etc.

I should say though that I don't think things will get that bad. Even in Italy people are getting out for food etc and China managed work rounds.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I had a nice chat with some italians on 40m hf radio tonight. They seemed in good spirits, and although I did not chat about the situation, I thought I would share a website where you can hear hf radio even if you do not have a licence for those who didn't know, it is basically an internet radio reciever but it could either help you to keep informed or keep you entertained if we are all put on lockdown? 40m is best for europe and 80m is best for UK

http://hackgreensdr.org:8901/
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

For many people being with their "other half" and perhaps "the kids" 24/7 will be an eye opener. :o It is definitely something to consider as stress levels and peoples temperaments would be severely tested in what could be a pretty scary scenario. Lock down might be a fun and exciting adventure for a few days but wear thin very quickly. Mrs A and I have worked together and then retired together for nearly 25 years so we are used to it, but its something many people will not have thought of, its very different to a fortnights holiday. :lol:

Also our allotment is our gardens so we dont need to go far to work it or protect it which might be necessary if food gets in short supply.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:56 am For many people being with their "other half" and perhaps "the kids" 24/7 will be an eye opener. I
Actually for 4 of 5 of us that is the norm as 3 of us do not go out but for medical appointments, but I can confirm although my lot are all adults now a whole family in a normal house all the time ( with one toilet) has it's issues, I can understand why astronauts have to be of the right temperament ;) my advice if you have to do it is to remember that you are victims of circumstance because you will be testing one another without trying.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:56 am For many people being with their "other half" and perhaps "the kids" 24/7 will be an eye opener. :o It is definitely something to consider as stress levels and peoples temperaments would be severely tested in what could be a pretty scary scenario. Lock down might be a fun and exciting adventure for a few days but wear thin very quickly. Mrs A and I have worked together and then retired together for nearly 25 years so we are used to it, but its something many people will not have thought of, its very different to a fortnights holiday. :lol:

Also our allotment is our gardens so we dont need to go far to work it or protect it which might be necessary if food gets in short supply.
We're aware of the pitfalls. My missus can't sit still, she has to be fussing over things. I hate it when she takes days off just to use up holidays and hangs around the house..... two weeks for us would be hard work. There's a fair chance I'll have somewhere to park my bike, put it that way. :evil: