Canal EGRESS

Logistics and Transport
Pointboy

Canal EGRESS

Post by Pointboy »

Hello all,

So, I live in the centre of a city and we have some canals running through and it got me thinking, would bugging out via canal routes on canal boats be possible?

There are 2,200 miles of canals throughout the UK. Most of the canals are connected and a fair few reach the coasts. I tracked one via google earth and it lead all the way through my city and out into the country side then up into the Humber.

What are people’s thoughts on the possibilities of bugging out like this with a few people with you, and what would be required to do so?
AREA 8 we shall defend our island, what ever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender.
pseudonym

Re: Canal EGRESS

Post by pseudonym »

It is a possibility, also the footpath that runs alongside could be utilised. Any maps with their routes marked would also be of benefit.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Technically a brilliant idea! Yes, it is absolutely possible. However, having fished many inner city canals over about 50 years, I would want a sawn off shotgun whilst paddling through! :lol: I have encountered some real #?ucking nut jobs on towpaths down the years , so SHTF I would really be wary. As a way out of an urban area though, it is a good idea.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Pointboy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:55 pm . I tracked one via google earth and it lead all the way through my city and out into the country side then up into the Humber.

What are people’s thoughts on the possibilities of bugging out like this with a few people with you, and what would be required to do so?
And when on the Humber then what? You'd not want to navigate that on a narrow boat even on a calm days..

Then there's the transition at the head of the Aire and Calder from canal to Docks/ port to the lock gates which they do charge a fee outside specific tide times into the Ouse then to the Humber been strongly tidal and littered with sand bars good luck
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not impossible i guess and living close to a canal i could perhaps make us myself. I can think of a few potential problems . If there are abandoned or sunk boats blocking the canal that's an escape done for and even if it's clear progress is slow. The speed or lack of it puts me in mind of the tv program Zomboat where a group of people try to flee a zombie apocalypse on the canals around birmingham making their escape as the zombies shuffled along thectowpaths.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10404664/
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

As above

Your are self sufficient but also trapped if canal blocked.

Though I have also thought about doing the same and know the canal paths very well around me and have a few places in mind if I had to camp out
omega man

Post by omega man »

They really are a nice connecting network but in my mind there are too many drawbacks for them to be a viable 'get out of dodge' option.
Not only for all the reasons already stated. LOCKS take ages to fill and drain... sometimes the water levels need adjusting over more than one lock too, or simply are out of action :(
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

omega man wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:59 pm They really are a nice connecting network but in my mind there are too many drawbacks for them to be a viable 'get out of dodge' option.
Not only for all the reasons already stated. LOCKS take ages to fill and drain... sometimes the water levels need adjusting over more than one lock too, or simply are out of action :(
Not forgetting that using a lock incorrectly can drain the whole section.

Good routes to know though
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Didn't one of the "Hunted" winners get out along the tow-paths at the start? They are a useful link but if you're on a towpath your options can be limited to forwards or backwards, if you're on a boat you're slow.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'd think canals and riverbanks would always be a handy wee rat run if you wanted to move quietly. Just don't fall in.