What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:59 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:38 pm Tomorrow I am dropping a rather large birch tree for my daughter.She is really stressed about it being near the house( I agree,as trees have their place,and not near buildings).Son in law will be helping,and we will have that sucker down in double quick time. Only problem was,I am short of two stroke oil for the chainsaw ( crap prepping!),but the lad ,being a mechanical fitter has made sure I now have 25 litres of the stuff!!! And four jerrycans of unleaded! Mind you,their drive needed re tarmacing,and he sent a gang of lads round,in exchange for fixing the shock springs on the foreman's car.
Sounds like a very sensible way to do things mate, building these 'connections' really helps things happen. I have similar arrangements with mates, even daft things like giving or swapping spare veg/jam or 'films', whatever, you build the connections. No doubt sometimes you'll not do as well out of these wee arrangements but they build trust, and knowledge too, you find out a mate knows a guy... etc. Don't get me wrong, I've helped neighbours out without any expectation, its not all done on a cynical basis, sometimes its just nice to be nice but people generally remember. I've had favours back from folk I wasn't expecting anything from.
Trust is what it's all about Deeps.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ClericalError wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:20 pmI'm a beginning gardener with very little time so I shall be browsing for tips on here for the more practical stuff. Yeah, I like roses, but there's a limit to how many rose petal sauces you can eat (first world problems).
Beginner with very little time = perennials like rhubarb and berry fruits, and veg thats either perennial, like lemon balm, or will self seed like kale, or doesn't need much looking after, like kale and courgettes. Herbs like mint, rosemary, lavender, they just sit there and do their thing and you clip bits of them as you want them :) HTH
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Perennial spinach is good too.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well it's been stag do part Deux tonight (one week today) :o

Dad stumbled in his conservatory and grazed his head been on blood thinners within seconds blood was on his head / face / shirt / jeans .....

First aid kit I put in his cupboard under the stairs was still there 5± years on

Swab of gauze plus pressure by my thumb and gave him 5 mins by the clock and it clotted ;) despite his protests to leave him alone
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Well done Andy!

Catweazle, thanks for that - that had passed me by.
jansman

Post by jansman »

If you are into perennials like me,check this:

https://backyardlarder.co.uk
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I've sowed my first seeds today (mostly salads) in the greenhouse (also my first). I'm trying soil blockers as a propagation method and will be doing the "no dig" method of vegetable gardening so lets see how it goes this year!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've come round to the idea of 'bumping along' my guerrilla garden, I can get 2 fruit trees from Tesco for a tenner, why not.....
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've finally been able to stop faffing about tidying for long enough to do some genuine prepstering: I've been checking the "best before" dates on my 2 litre water bottles to know when to renew :oops: some are way out. While water doesn't go off, of course, given what we now know about microplastics, its probably fair to say that there's a *lot* of microplastickery in bottles with a BBE of June 2015 :oops: Most are dated August 2020 - I'll renew them when I come back from holiday.

I'm *so* regretting booking that dratted holiday. If I get smacked by Covid 19, or La Cumbre Vieja, or a Saharan sandstorm, can I ask you all to intone "we told you so" at an appropriate moment? :mrgreen: :roll:
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:45 pm
I'm *so* regretting booking that dratted holiday. If I get smacked by Covid 19, or La Cumbre Vieja, or a Saharan sandstorm, can I ask you all to intone "we told you so" at an appropriate moment? :mrgreen: :roll:
Enjoy your holiday either way - what'll be will be :D You have preps at home so when you get back if you have to hunker down - at least you will be refreshed after a chill out and relaxed holiday! Having said that, if you do get caught up in anything abroad, make sure you always are prepared in what you carry about you everyday on holiday, know where local things of importance are etc etc.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)