Bad Weather/Bike Gear

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
diamond lil

Bad Weather/Bike Gear

Post by diamond lil »

Anybody found a good and not mega-expensive place to get really good all -weather gear? We have a lot of bad weather up here and it's getting worse. Son uses a bike to get around and he's sick of being soaked to the skin. Bike gear is overpriced and you pay for the name, maybe mountaineering stuff would be better?
Even husband & I are fedup of the walk to the main road for the bus - always wet always cold.
Deeps

Re: Bad Weather/Bike Gear

Post by Deeps »

Walking gear is no different Lil, you have stuff with 'labels' that cost more. Its another area where you generally get what you pay for. There are a few exceptions, one being surplus gear. You can get a navy 'fouly' jacket for about 30 quid, I've still got a couple I use for dog walking or if I'm wild camping with a fire (don't want to get my gucci expensive stuff damaged) and they're pretty good. The pockets get wet so that's a downside but apart from that they're as good as stuff that's a lot more expensive.

https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/produ ... 24EALw_wcB

A quick look on google shows this. You can get the bottoms too. Next time you're in Embra take a trip to Decathlon or Go Outdoors and have a look too.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Royal navy surplus goretex jacket and trousers
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Awesome, thanks both of you :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Raf smock comes without a hood handy if you wear a helmet so you don't need one

Navy has reflective strips on both shoulders

I used to mountain bike in old 95 pattern DPM goretex trousers and they survived a few tumbles...

omega man

Post by omega man »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 am Anybody found a good and not mega-expensive place to get really good all -weather gear? We have a lot of bad weathewr up here and it's getting worse. Son uses a bike to get around and he's sick of being soaked to the skin. Bike gear is overpriced and you pay for the name, maybe mountaineering stuff would be better?
Even husband & I are fedup of the walk to the main road for the bus - always wet always cold.
Hi DL,
I do a fair bit of cycling in sh*t weather (midlands). I always seem to come back to the brand 'Trespass' .. not too expensive nor too cheap, quality is definitely there and normally very lightweight and 100% waterproof.
In addition their cycling range is obviously cut to fit the position of cycling, often overlooked but when it's throwing it down you'll see why.
Hope that is helpful

OM
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It's not cycling, he has a Harley and a Suzuki GSX. My fault for not being clear, and thank you ;)