Dedicated flood preps

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Dedicated flood preps

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well the recent news what have you got dedicated to flood risks...

I'll do a rough list of mine obviously some stuff had more than one use but it's mainly for flood protection / resilience

Submersible dirty water pump

20m of lay flat discharge hose (will reach land drain or allotment land ..

((Ok of I can pump it there ))

40 sand bags mixture of Hessian and plastic

10 bags of builders sand (need more) but there's always soil.

Drainage spade (filling sand bags or cutting drainage trenches)

Life jackets for the kids and 2 adult jackets

Wellington boots for all

I've got a set of chest waders

2 man dingy X2 and ores

Plastic sheeting (to go with the sandbags)

And some timbers cut to cover air bricks and doors
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Quill

Re: Dedicated flood preps

Post by Quill »

How much did the dingys cost Andy?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've got loads of plastic sheeting and some sandbags (no sand so would have to use soil) although I can't see flooding being an issue for us. Things would have be biblical but you never know. I have tried to get a couple of inflatable boats/canoes from Aldi on the chance of it but the missus wasn't buying it. :(
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Quill wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:07 am How much did the dingys cost Andy?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intex-Seahaw ... Sw-kdcd~jT

Nothing high tech but enough to get the kids out the water and Wade / row to safety
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Tarrin_Kael

Post by Tarrin_Kael »

Suggestions:
Toilet pan seal for each trap on the ground floor.
Air brick seals for each air brick at low level.
Hydrosnakes or flood barrier for doors. (if this is either too expensive/hard to get, then try short lengths of builders plank hammered into doorway horizontally with oakum fibres between planks. Add a heavy fabric fother, and it should keep pretty much everything out.)
peejay

Post by peejay »

My place is elevated about 8ft above the road which is in turn at the top of a hill so my preps need to revolve more around being cut off as an island rather than actual flooding but I did think of a great but dead-simple idea for protecting the likes of a car in a garage which could actually also stretch to other items in theory. I got excited at first thinking it would be an original idea but searching revealed I'd been beaten to it of course.

Anyway the basic principle is go get a tarp large enough to be able to drive the car onto, and then lift the sides to above the top of the car (or close to it). Basically it would result in the car forming its own "bubble" which the tarp would simply be pushed against so no stress on the tarp at all (as long as you leave enough slack underneath that the wheels don't create stretch points.

The car would simply float, so long as the water level doesn't rise enough for it to bounce off the ceiling!

I guess you could do the same with furniture in the house if you couldn't shift up stairs but you'd like have more pointy bits to put pressure on the tarp...
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'm high enough to not have to worry about flooding so my preps are more general to ease any supply problems there may be. With regards to furniture i recall seeing a report a few years back on the tv from Bridgenorth or somewhere along the severn at least about the precautions taken at one house. Firstly tiled floor with loose rugs and then they fitted dado panelling ( lower half of the wall around 3ft high) which was hinged at the top with drop down legs so at a pull the panelling became a 3ft high 3ft wide shelf to quickly pile furniture onto.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

On the subject of dedicated flood preparations my mind is drawn back to a job i worked on probably twenty five years ago. If anyone knows Stoke on trent they may know Ford Green hall ,a timber framed building built next to a pool. Sometime in the '80's ( i think) the water rose and flooded the hall. In response the council built an earth dam all around the building which worked fine until the next flood that was higher than the dam and resulted in the hall sitting in it's own self contained little lake. It was after all that water was pumped out that we went to work there. It was quite weird going in and seeing a tide mark at about neck height all around the building. One bit that really sticks in my mind was a long case clock ,like a grandfather clock ,which was perfect above the tide mark , still varnished but below looked like it had been dipped into paint stripper.