Bartering, Plus Gold/Silver Ingots

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Lone

Bartering, Plus Gold/Silver Ingots

Post by Lone »

What I found on U.S. Forums is quite an obsession with these aspects, seen it covered in tv shows too, building up these metals of value and obtaining items suited to trade for goods with other groups, etc.

In prepping, how big a part does this play, though of course, the U.S. is a huge expanse with numerous states, etc., compared to the U.K.
jansman

Re: Bartering, Plus Gold/Silver Ingots

Post by jansman »

Bartering ( anywhere) is just another form of trade.There are lots of internet lists of ' essential barter items after shtf'. Those barter items are only valuable if someone wants you have...and you want what they have! Simple concept.In a real,REALLY real,SHTF- SHOPS- ARE-SHUT situation,barter will only happen if you have an absolutely enormous surplus of a certain item.After all,why would you barter anything ( unless you were really desperately in need of the reciprocal trade item),if there was no way of replacing it anytime soon?

Gold and silver? Now you are talking my language! I am an avid investor in silver ( coins mainly) and gold when it comes to me at the right money.Now,in the Internet Fantasy SHTF scenarios,precious metals won't be worth a light.People trust what they know.Most people never handle physical gold and silver,so they know neither it's value,nor it's authenticity.

However,I collect it,as it is ' off- grid' regarding income tax and capital gains tax. So,in retirement,I can cash it in when I need readies,or if I have,a personal SHTF,economically. Prepping is about more than the Zombie Invasion. :lol: Precious Metals ( PM) is not a surefire investment,but it generally holds its value and is a simple store of wealth.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Lone

Post by Lone »

In the U.S. Forums, though I didn’t see all of them, there was so many of a similar ilk, the only comparison I could think of was they were ‘like an army of Burts’ from Tremors, craving an end of the world scenario...there does seem to very clear definitions between prepping and the other kind of Survivalist thinking.

The first type to be prepared should anything happen...the second type hoping upon hope the apocalypse comes (yes likely zombies) wishing it to come sooner rather than later so as to put all their efforts to use...instead of ‘all dressed up with no apocalypse to go to’ :roll:
omega man

Post by omega man »

However,I collect it,as it is ' off- grid' regarding income tax and capital gains tax.
That Sir is a way of looking at PM's I'd not considered. Food for thought! Thanks muchly
OM
jansman

Post by jansman »

omega man wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:18 pm
However,I collect it,as it is ' off- grid' regarding income tax and capital gains tax.
That Sir is a way of looking at PM's I'd not considered. Food for thought! Thanks muchly
OM
You are quite welcome.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:52 pm People trust what they know.Most people never handle physical gold and silver,so they know neither it's value,nor it's authenticity.
Very much my sentiment. I'd never consider precious metals as currency post SHTF. Would probably hope to barter beer, batteries or beans.... or skills. You can't eat gold.
Holding gold Pre SHTF may be a sound investment, just as having a few Dollars, Euros or Bitcoin might be handy
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I have an amount of precious metals although at the moment they remain untouched. I also do some bartering for payment although most people tend to stick to pounds and pence i've worked for material goods. In that respect anything can be bartered . The last job i did on that basis was putting up some blinds for a customer for which i was "paid" in oak worktop . The biggest problem with bartering is timing , two people having something that the other wants at the same time but it's a system that has merit.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:27 pm I have an amount of precious metals although at the moment they remain untouched. I also do some bartering for payment although most people tend to stick to pounds and pence i've worked for material goods. In that respect anything can be bartered . The last job i did on that basis was putting up some blinds for a customer for which i was "paid" in oak worktop . The biggest problem with bartering is timing , two people having something that the other wants at the same time but it's a system that has merit.
I agree,it has its merits.I trade all sorts with two of my neighbours,but as you say grenfell,when the timing is right.As a long- term strategy for ' survival ' in a PAW situation though,it could have some drawbacks.A relatively recent example of Post- Collapse bartering would be Argentina. 'Ferfal' Aguirre,in his book about the economic crash there,details how small markets ( we would call them car boot sales) sprang up after the 'Bank Holiday' meant there was little to no cash within the Argentine economy.Bartering worked for a while,but then surplus for trade got scarce quite quickly.Also,gangsters started to control these markets and it got dangerous.

Regarding precious metals ( PM),gold in particular was useful,and dealers sprang up everywhere.People were not trading PM for goods ( imagine trying to buy a weekly shop in Tesco with half a sovereign? :lol: ),but were trading for CASH.Usually US dollars,as the Argentine Peso was next to worthless.It is worth noting that people were not trading gold or silver ingots,but small items of jewellery mainly.A dealer would even take just a couple of links of a chain for instance,so you still had some to sell another day,as a reputable trader buys by weight.Even in the economic chaos,some form of cash was still the most desirable currency.

I personally buy Silver 1 Troy Ounce silver Brittanias,and when the price is right,Canadian Maples.The reason being,that *IF* we had an Argentina - type crash,A silver coin with our Queen stamped on it is more trustworthy to a dealer.Also,they are more portable for my real plan of selling off when I need cash in The Real World. :lol: I do pick up gold jewellery when I have spare cash,which has not been for a while to be honest! During the 2000's,I was riding high and I bought up all sorts of PMs and sat on them.Then at the turn of the last decade,I realised that my cushy little number was up,so we decided to pay off the mortgage early to give us security in an uncertain economic situation.I sold off all my precious metals to a dealer I trusted,and the prices were running high at that time.That gave us 30% of the total amount needed I was pleased to find.

My reason for telling you that,is to point out that gold and silver is,and always was,a simple,physical store of wealth that you can convert to cash( or goods)
anytime.It does fluctuate in cash value,and has even dipped to lows, but generally speaking,it does tend to hold it's value.If you can hold it for a long time,it will usually turn a good profit.From a Prepping angle though,it is not high on my list of Must- Haves.

Robert Frost.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

jansman wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:52 pm Bartering ( anywhere) is just another form of trade.There are lots of internet lists of ' essential barter items after shtf'. Those barter items are only valuable if someone wants you have...and you want what they have! Simple concept.In a real,REALLY real,SHTF- SHOPS- ARE-SHUT situation,barter will only happen if you have an absolutely enormous surplus of a certain item.After all,why would you barter anything ( unless you were really desperately in need of the reciprocal trade item),if there was no way of replacing it anytime soon?

Gold and silver? Now you are talking my language! I am an avid investor in silver ( coins mainly) and gold when it comes to me at the right money.Now,in the Internet Fantasy SHTF scenarios,precious metals won't be worth a light.People trust what they know.Most people never handle physical gold and silver,so they know neither it's value,nor it's authenticity.

However,I collect it,as it is ' off- grid' regarding income tax and capital gains tax. So,in retirement,I can cash it in when I need readies,or if I have,a personal SHTF,economically. Prepping is about more than the Zombie Invasion. :lol: Precious Metals ( PM) is not a surefire investment,but it generally holds its value and is a simple store of wealth.
Where would one buy gold or silver without having to pay VAT on it ? Theoretically of course.
jansman

Post by jansman »

There is no VAT on gold. Silver does attract VAT. However, if you are buying privately that is another matter. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.