Prepper Expos?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Deeps

Re: Prepper Expos?

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:50 pm
MaxPrep wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:41 amI'm trying to work out not only the best 3 bug out routes out of East London but also.....Where would i go, what safe port, it's not as though i have some hidden compound or patch of land i can just go and put up a tent :lol: . This is today's problem solving for me. Wish me luck. 8-)
Good luck! Do think about what Deeps wrote, and what I think you're realising - that once you leave your own place, without a destination in mind, you're a refugee. But you probably also need to think about "bug home" routes - after all, you don't hang around your own place 24/7, you're out and about, in other central areas, in suburbs, in other towns, at the seaside for the day, whatever. Even your place of work :mrgreen: How would you get home? What route would you take? What problems might you face on the way?

As far as workshops for learning skills: check out meetup.com, there are people who run first aid courses, foraging courses, woodland walks, all sorts of things.
Plus one for the highlighted bit, how long would it take to walk home from work, that's probably the longest you'll take so what would you need ? If you're lucky its a shortish walk but if not then what would be the practical things that you could stick in a wee rucksack or leave at work. I'm assuming this doesn't apply to you Max but for those who wear a skirt and heels to work a pair of trainers and breeks/running bottoms would make the walk easier. If you don't know the area intimately between work and home then scouting a few alternative routes gives you the confidence to deviate if your normal route isn't doable for whatever reason.

For most of us home is where we have all our gear/preps so if you're not there then getting there will be a priority.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"I know in Ingerland that wild camping is a bit iffy, probably even more so in the more populous areas like um... London."

You would be surprised where people camp, unnoticed. There was a recent case where some Somalian guys had been camping in the trees, in the middle of a roundabout, on a major road in/out of London. They been there for some while apparently and only got found out when the police helicopter spotted them at night while on a different shout all together. Hidden in plain sight so to speak. Also cemeteries and flat rooftops of buildings.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:07 am "I know in Ingerland that wild camping is a bit iffy, probably even more so in the more populous areas like um... London."

You would be surprised where people camp, unnoticed. There was a recent case where some Somalian guys had been camping in the trees, in the middle of a roundabout, on a major road in/out of London. They been there for some while apparently and only got found out when the police helicopter spotted them at night while on a different shout all together. Hidden in plain sight so to speak. Also cemeteries and flat rooftops of buildings.
I get your point Arwen but if you're looking for a relaxing night or two wild camping for fun then worrying about getting moved on isn't what its about.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'm never really certain if camping and bushcraft skills are really anything to do with prepping and if anything i'd veer towards it not being so , certainly not in this country . Refuges leaving a war zone in africa or the middle east on foot would probably find the skills useful but i ask myself when faced with an emergency of any kind in this country just how often or how many people have run to the hills/woods/fields , set up a tent and started rubbing two sticks together? Not that i'm trying to run it down i enjoy getting outside myself as much as i can , i just don't see it as absolutely vital above the basics of finding shelter if say for example one has to walk home over the period of a couple of days. It's fun in the same way as flying a kite or skateboarding can be fun. If anything a prepper show that focused overly on bushcraft and camping could easily just confirm some people's beliefs that preppers are just plain odd rather than portraying them as normal everyday people who don't want everything to go tits up .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:28 am I'm never really certain if camping and bushcraft skills are really anything to do with prepping and if anything i'd veer towards it not being so , certainly not in this country . Refuges leaving a war zone in africa or the middle east on foot would probably find the skills useful but i ask myself when faced with an emergency of any kind in this country just how often or how many people have run to the hills/woods/fields , set up a tent and started rubbing two sticks together? Not that i'm trying to run it down i enjoy getting outside myself as much as i can , i just don't see it as absolutely vital above the basics of finding shelter if say for example one has to walk home over the period of a couple of days. It's fun in the same way as flying a kite or skateboarding can be fun. If anything a prepper show that focused overly on bushcraft and camping could easily just confirm some people's beliefs that preppers are just plain odd rather than portraying them as normal everyday people who don't want everything to go tits up .
Can't argue with any of that and I say that as someone who is out at least once a month walking or camping (3 weekends this month). I think its the 'fantasy' of running off to the woods that appeals. As you say, its great fun for a day or a week when you're doing it for fun and you've planned it. Its not my missus's idea of fun at the best of times and if you're having to fill the car or a rucksack and just go then the chances are it would be pretty crap.

Prepping for me is as much about the day to day 'boring' stuff like allotments, having a fire extinguisher and plenty First Aid gear and of course the oodles of bog roll and tins. ;) It does cover a lot of different aspects and means different things to different people though and I would guess the more 'fun' stuff like running off to the woods will appeal to some, to them, I'd say go and do it if you haven't tried it, its great fun. As Grenfell says, there's definitely more to prepping for 'real life' like unemployment or illness though.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Deeps wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 am
Prepping for me is as much about the day to day 'boring' stuff like allotments, having a fire extinguisher and plenty First Aid gear and of course the oodles of bog roll and tins. ;) It does cover a lot of different aspects and means different things to different people though and I would guess the more 'fun' stuff like running off to the woods will appeal to some, to them, I'd say go and do it if you haven't tried it, its great fun. As Grenfell says, there's definitely more to prepping for 'real life' like unemployment or illness though.
Oh yes the boring stuff , in that respects i'm as dull as dishwater but i suppose it's only human to lean towards excitement even if it's only to watch an alien invasion or zombie movie and start thinking " now what would i do.... "
MaxPrep

Post by MaxPrep »

You're luck to have an allotment, in London an allotment is like capturing a bleedin Unicorn...