Heavy Duty Metal Garden Cart With Mesh Sides

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Lone

Heavy Duty Metal Garden Cart With Mesh Sides

Post by Lone »

This is an item that I’ve just bought but still to build, for moving large bags of tree bark, compost, etc., around the garden...The cart having solid tyres with good grips, and is pulled by a long metal handle...which may come in handy if having to travel without transport, needing other kit not easy to carry or heavy.
berbie

Re: Heavy Duty Metal Garden Cart With Mesh Sides

Post by berbie »

Do you have a link to it please as I'm looking at buying similar very soon?
Lone

Post by Lone »

The one I purchased isn’t too large, fortunately as it is solidly built and heavy in its own right, so with items put in it too, should make it still workable to move, even by two holding the handle grip.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yaheetech-Trol ... 786&sr=8-7

It was actually from amazon U.K., reasonably priced, got it to prevent any other injuries to my back, instead of trying to drag the heavy bags across the ground, beforehand putting them on a sled, which did the job, but not that great.

It is meant just for my garden that is reasonably large, but if need came to shove, could help move various equipment, gear when changing location, even if in a group using several, whilst individuals also carry gear on their bodies too.

I think the concept of having a small hand-drawn cart was used in the film The Road too
berbie

Post by berbie »

Thank you.
I need one to move "stuff" around the garden which is very long! I'm ok with a wheel barrow but I can see huge advantage in something such as this.And 400kg potential is excellent.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Even with wheels 400 kg takes some shifting, especially if there is the slightest of inclines. We have a four wheel ( pneumatic tyres) flat bed truck for unloading wagons at work. There is an incline to the fridges, and any more than 250 kg takes one pulling and one pushing ( and we are strong lads). Just sayin’...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

berbie wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:53 pm Thank you.
I need one to move "stuff" around the garden which is very long! I'm ok with a wheel barrow but I can see huge advantage in something such as this.And 400kg potential is excellent.

I've seen them in wilco motorsave for sale
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Lone

Post by Lone »

It has to be robust and a capacity to carry a reasonable weight that wouldn’t cause it to buckle or break with even less of a load, as max load wouldn’t necessarily be constantly pushed unless need be I think, if wanting it to last. Things would be heavier or impossible to carry without such a wheeled aid.

I’ve used a sturdy metal wheelbarrow, but is prone to readjusting the load or else tips, new types buckle and wheels bend out of vertical, also used a small two-wheeled vertical compost bag trolley, no use if rough or muddy ground, even just an uneven slab.

Four wheels is better, keeps everything level less chance of being upset with uneven load, when in a prepping scenario, if opting for a less weight capacity, decisions may be required to leave some gear behind that might otherwise have been taken.

If transporting crucial gear in a prep scenario, or as seen in arctic expeditions when pulling their gear on sleds, even if still heavy to move, can still be moved and gear kept that might be important later...even if more than one individual needs to pull it.

However, I say this as an amateur prepper...so far only dealt with powercuts, water mains bursts, water shortages, deep snow, storm damage, etc., comes down to personal choice and previous experiences for everybody
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Following a discussion come argument with an engineer about how badly designed a wheel barrow is i came across the chinese wheel barrow which was used for fairly heavy loads over sometimes quite long journies.
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/12 ... arrow.html
Just a though to chuck in...
berbie

Post by berbie »

jansman wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:09 pm Even with wheels 400 kg takes some shifting, especially if there is the slightest of inclines. We have a four wheel ( pneumatic tyres) flat bed truck for unloading wagons at work. There is an incline to the fridges, and any more than 250 kg takes one pulling and one pushing ( and we are strong lads). Just sayin’...
Totally agree but if its good for 400kg then "if" I'm sensible a 200kg load should be ok with both me and the truck :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:15 am Following a discussion come argument with an engineer about how badly designed a wheel barrow is i came across the chinese wheel barrow which was used for fairly heavy loads over sometimes quite long journies.
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/12 ... arrow.html
Just a though to chuck in...
What an interesting article! Thanks for sharing that.

In defence of the 'European ' wheelbarrow though,if you have one with a pneumatic tyre,they are most versatile.A four wheel truck is ok if you have easy access and flat ground.My property's rear entrance is down a covered entry ( or a ginnel as Yorkshire Andy would call it :lol: ) and into a yard via a tight right hand turn.I have shifted tens if not hundreds of tonnes of sand,gravel,slabs,firewood...you name it.And I am only on the second black builders barrow in thirty years. Also,don't forget the humble sack- barrow.Mine has saved me some sweat over the years.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.