New comer.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Raven

Re: New comer.

Post by Raven »

Have you tried a air diffuser? You can get them from amazon for under £20. They plug in, and you can add essential oils to the water, i have added menthol crystals several times and they work as well.

I really recommend air diffusers as they can help with breathing issues. My thinking was, if eventually you could save up for one of those small portable solar charges for around £70 then if the electricity went out you could use the air diffuser still. Obviously in a room, I’m not sure it work in a forest the same. LOL. :lol:

Have you thought of a few caches in your allotment as opposed to a hidden abode there?
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Lone

Post by Lone »

Interestingly, rumour has it that some waste ground attached to the back of my property is going to be made into allotments, however, it is in the middle of surrounding back gardens like my own.

I say this as a hopeful prepper for advice...but as such these intended allotments will be well known about and accessed very easily from numerous locations...therefore in time of need, are vulnerable to being raided for crops...this would also make me uneasy for anything I grow in my own greenhouse, obviously visible from the allotments area. Whereas at the moment, less seen from the wasteground due to high 6’+ fence, and hidden by a panel screen to the front.

If an allotment is located in a private area not overlooked or easily accessed, could be a good place to cache items...without alerting other plot owners too.
Raven

Post by Raven »

The thing about allotments or gardens is it doesn't look suspicious if you are digging I guess its the transference of the cache you have to be wary off.

Sounds like you have a good range of skills Turkey Doughnuts, that others would appreciate. Are there others you'd naturally group up with?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Lone wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:53 pm If an allotment is located in a private area not overlooked or easily accessed, could be a good place to cache items...without alerting other plot owners too.
Planting tinned beans and plastic tubs full of pasta and rice (in the dead of night) would be pretty funny.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:07 pm
Lone wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:53 pm If an allotment is located in a private area not overlooked or easily accessed, could be a good place to cache items...without alerting other plot owners too.
Planting tinned beans and plastic tubs full of pasta and rice (in the dead of night) would be pretty funny.
I keep thinking about burying a plastic tub at my 'go to' wild camping spot. I already stash wood and charcoal there but it just seems a bit :tinfoil
I reckon I'll end up doing it though at some point.
Lone

Post by Lone »

It is true...that burying stuff like that does seem funny to many...that’s why I think most people don’t make plans like that...but likely would wish they did when the time arrives.

I mean...why bury stuff for something that MIGHT happen...when you can have the use of it right now ?...hence the concept of prepping....why use now when you might need it later

Prepping always is presented as an extreme measure...but only by those never considering, or even having been in a dire situation, where being stocked up with supplies would have made things easier...rather than hitting the ground running, having zero ready.

I’ve seen films where people create false walls, etc., to store goods, equipment, rather than burying...as in the U.K. there is the chance, unlike the U.S. that preppers don’t exist in numbers...working in the latter’s favour, as nobody would think of such methods
Raven

Post by Raven »

Lone wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:22 pm It is true...that burying stuff like that does seem funny to many...that’s why I think most people don’t make plans like that...but likely would wish they did when the time arrives.

I’ve seen films where people create false walls, etc., to store goods, equipment, rather than burying...as in the U.K. there is the chance, unlike the U.S. that preppers don’t exist in numbers...working in the latter’s favour, as nobody would think of such methods
It also comes down to expense I guess.

In elementary (modern day Sherlock Holmes in New York on Amazon prime season 4 episode 8, ready or not) this episode is about a missing guy who is a prepper, I love looking at their stocks, but tbh, it was a fancy kit, I thought it could have surpassed as an avid camper. Anyway, this prepper has also bought a fancy room in a bunker if SHTF...the 40 minute episode is worth a watch. Also i can’t remember which one but in it, Sherlock notices the dining room wall doesn’t meet the next room’s wall. When the husband had his dining room remodelled while his wife was away and he had a false wall put in for a narrow room to store loads of guns. I have no idea how many he thought he’d need it was a very one dimensional view of a prepper, and the wife was a bit silly not to notice the room seemed smaller, but other than that personally but I thought the premise was worth thinking about. Makes you second guess who you’d tell, and what lengths you’d go to if you didn’t think they’d be into prepping.

I don’t have a lot of space so i really need to be inventive with where and what i store. But i can dream that one day false walls will be in my future lol. :lol:
Turkey Doughnuts

Post by Turkey Doughnuts »

Raven wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:36 am The thing about allotments or gardens is it doesn't look suspicious if you are digging I guess its the transference of the cache you have to be wary off.

Sounds like you have a good range of skills Turkey Doughnuts, that others would appreciate. Are there others you'd naturally group up with?
There is no one round here really that is even remotely interested in even camping that I know unfortunately. I also had no intention of building an underground lair, it was just as a cache as you suggested. If there were a need to guard I would just take my tent there and live in that, though to be honest the risk to save a few unlikely to be ripe crops is not worth. I would be happy to let the mob pillage the crops and grow again once things have calmed down.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Turkey Doughnuts wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:41 pm

There is no one round here really that is even remotely interested in even camping that I know unfortunately. I also had no intention of building an underground lair, it was just as a cache as you suggested. If there were a need to guard I would just take my tent there and live in that, though to be honest the risk to save a few unlikely to be ripe crops is not worth. I would be happy to let the mob pillage the crops and grow again once things have calmed down.
I'm a keen camper, If I had to pick between going with a mate or two or going on my own I'd pick going with mates. Having said that, I don't have to pick and there's a lot to be said for going on your own too. Its a different experience but still fun, if you have a dog, even more so, good bonding with the beast.
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

Strong coffee is recognised as a good broncho - dilator. On the occasions I have foolishly run out of Ventolin and found breathing becoming a bit tight, one cup of (very) strong coffee and - give it 10 mins - easy breathing. It really does work!

EDIT: It has to be the real stuff. None of your 'Mellow Birds' or 'Nescaf' etc etc.