Prepper On A Budget

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Lone

Prepper On A Budget

Post by Lone »

New here from Scotland. Interested in prepping for years, only just found this U.K.-based forum, not much mention of U.K. preppers, usually assumed to be more in the U.S.

I’m just a basic, low profile prepper, some helpful kit in, not too much, read a great deal on the subject, to at least know stuff even if not got items in possession..yet.

Looking forward to reading the topics
Raven

Re: Prepper On A Budget

Post by Raven »

Welcome Lone!

I hope your safe in Scotland atm, I hear some parts are rougher than usual atm.

What are your main areas of prepping focus?
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Lone

Post by Lone »

Thanks Raven

Main areas I’ve tried to cover best - lighting, tools, spare greenhouse materials/accessories, repair material like wood lengths, stock up batteries, large bags of ground salt, reference books, useful clothing, work-vest (loads of pockets/pouches), security sensor lights, padlocks, padbolts, multi-tools, torch flashing red light attachment, wind-up lights/radios, etc...a lot of other everyday gear bulks up where necessary...still adding with small survival sets to be ordered with flint, whistle, multi-use clip booklights, etc. As you see...on the Budget side...but good to have in...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum Lone, there's a few of us Scotland based, loads of useful stuff on here, what are your prepping priorities ?
Lone

Post by Lone »

Thanks Deeps

At the moment just short term - able to cope with 7-10 days without needing outside aid - once satisfied enough to cover this period, will begin to think more long term.

Got a greenhouse and studying up on veg growing, etc., so theory in some areas at the moment.

It is just myself in my residence, so can make foodstuffs, etc., last longer than a group

Money is the downside...when it’s available can stock up more...
Raven

Post by Raven »

Wow thats quite a list! If you’ve only just started thats a really good progress. ;)

When I started it was to get 72 hours worth of water in and then have a stash of extra consumables so oil, rice etc.

Are you prepping for a particular event? I’ve been trying to persuade a family member to obtain a canoe in case their area floods - lol.

Oh being in Scotland, which is obviously slighter colder and usually wetter and windy-er, have you looked into the pros and cons of semi-submerged greenhouses? :tinfoil
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Lone

Post by Lone »

Raven

Started a couple of years ago, money was handy, weather was bad, began thinking right there and then what I was lacking in equipment, supplies - maintenance was my main aim - strengthening things like fences, replacing padlocks, etc., building greenhouse shelving, fortunately there is a slope or run off away from my greenhouse, water gathers away in the far corner., however have secured it to horizontal posts sunk in the ground, and acquired wood lengths for to build a sort of 4” kick-board defence around the bottom, protects the glass at lower level. Started to keep a few bottles water handy, flasks for hot drinks, hip flasks for whisky (medicinal of course), rolls of duct tape, wire, superglue (Apparently this was once used as a wound sealer) and in the event of needing to keep watch..binoculars and a spotting scope...not forgetting a magnifying glass to start fire if nothing else available...needs a rare sunny day for that though
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi there Lone, my word, you've done loads! Do you have direct access to water, a well or something? Seems so important, with the number of water mains breakages that there are, as well as contaminants.

You're doing well with kit like you mention in your first post - skills are crucial, of course, but if you need a whistle to attract attention after a traffic accident or something, you need a whistle, nothing else will do :)
Lone

Post by Lone »

Arzosah

Nope..no direct access to a water well, etc., but considering a couple of water butts, onefor the rain run off the greenhouse roof, plus one similarly at a strong reinforced plastic storage hut I obtained..they can hold quite a bit...think they include a tap too. Giving it some thought at the moment...certainly enough rain in recent years...

Never having given a whistle much thought until a year or so ago...but as they are supplied in the mini-survival kits, come recommended. I guess a more clearly audible sound than a shout or yell...wouldn’t do any harm to have a little flashing light attachment for a jacket too... to be seen whether on land or at sea....as they are very visible being so bright...quite cheap too. Either one, seen or heard, gives a better chance of being located...in the dark...at sea...or trapped in a vehicle or building
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've got a sol whistle it's taken a beating on my bunch of keys most of the rubber has gone but it still works

https://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-sup ... z4QAvD_BwE
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine