Log cabin

Homes and Retreats
mikefranks

Log cabin

Post by mikefranks »

Hi everyone

So I have finally got myself back on my feet and looking into building a log cabin (location hidden) I was thinking around 5m x 5m square and kitting it out with my peeps (already have) bug out location and go to in the event of a SHTF situation. Would I need planning permission if I own the land?
unsure

Re: Log cabin

Post by unsure »

i think so long as its on wheels ,its classed as mobile . even if the wheels are in a pit underneath it . then you don`t . i recall seeing it on a tv program once .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
piglet

Post by piglet »

Wasn't that a movie?
The cabin in the woods.

And have none of you seen 'The hills have eye's ?
ain't settlin'
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Will it be close to your home? How will you deal with security?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Whether you need planning permission will probably depend upon where you are. Your local council should have details of what you can and can't do on its website . Round by us they call it a planning portal which may be the universal term . Round by us we can go to 32m2 and a maximum of , i think , 3.5m height for what they term garden buildings such as sheds without any sort of permission. That's how i built my workshop. However , if i had made it "habitable " i would have needed permission. To be honest the regulations can be a bit vague and confussing at times and perhaps open to interpretation. For examp!e i could build a swimming pool in my garden 50% of the footprint of the land as it was in 1947. At that time the garden was twice the size it is now , a plot was sold off and another house built in the 60's so that seems to read that i could turn my whole garden into a swimming pool without any sort of permission if i wanted to. In some areas the rules are stricter and sheds and even caravans can need permission.
Not wanting to promote illegal action but you could always just put it up in secret although that is not without its problems. Firstly it may be illegal but perhaps a bigger problem is keeping it secret unless it's well off the beaten track. Even a modest sized construction will involve shipping in a fair amount of materials and numerous trips to put it all together which may very well attract unwanted attention.
mikefranks

Post by mikefranks »

Thanks all