What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jansman »

No work today,and too cold ( for me) to fish. So... gonna drop a birch tree that is in the way of my slash and burn campaign in my garden. :lol: That won't take long.Then I am rearranging outbuildings so we can lay our hands on stuff more easily. I seem to have gear all over the place at the moment.I KNOW I have more paraffin at the back of that shed!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We've had a thaw here and it's gone back to grey and damp. I've moved around the ashbin and bagged coal to be nearer the back door for me when the snow comes - forecasts talking of a bad winter up here but they might be wrong. Munching our way through some of the Brexit stash but keeping some back for winter.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I seem to be permanently rearranging/ tidying/ stocking up at the moment. I had a huge supermarket delivery yesterday, to take advantage of a £15 off coupon, so I've temporarily made things worse for myself :mrgreen:

Disappointed recently that an old friend who still lives in London had gone off the idea of preparedness as it was based "in fear". I described how what I do is based in experience (illness, theft, flooding, terrorist campaigns) and said I thought she was confusing preparedness with apocalyptic thinking. She acknowledged that might be true, but I can see I didn't change her mind any :(
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:13 am I seem to be permanently rearranging/ tidying/ stocking up at the moment. I had a huge supermarket delivery yesterday, to take advantage of a £15 off coupon, so I've temporarily made things worse for myself :mrgreen:

Disappointed recently that an old friend who still lives in London had gone off the idea of preparedness as it was based "in fear". I described how what I do is based in experience (illness, theft, flooding, terrorist campaigns) and said I thought she was confusing preparedness with apocalyptic thinking. She acknowledged that might be true, but I can see I didn't change her mind any :(
Those £s off coupons do have a habit of that don't they? :lol:

Next time your old friend asks to borrow something she could of stocked up/prepared for just say No. Remind her of the "in fear" comment and then use it as a teaching moment.

Lend her the item, tell her you expect one in return as and when and also if it was the end of the world, the no would of been no for real. :twisted:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:18 amThose £s off coupons do have a habit of that don't they? :lol:
:lol: I forgot the contents of that order, and I'd just done another one for later this month - I think I'll have to cancel that one altogether :lol:
Next time your old friend asks to borrow something she could of stocked up/prepared for just say No. Remind her of the "in fear" comment and then use it as a teaching moment.

Lend her the item, tell her you expect one in return as and when and also if it was the end of the world, the no would of been no for real. :twisted:
Well, but you're making a logical point, even if its :twisted: :D Logic doesn't win against belief, sorry pseudonym :D She knows what can happen in the bad times, she knows what precautions are needed, she chooses another path - individual psychology is a funny old thing, hers for choosing not to make simple preps (I *did* ask her to put the phone number of her insurance company onto her mobile, she might do that), and mine for not pushing it and trying to persuade - I'm done with all that, srsly.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've been watching a lot of Youtube recently, one of the channels is an American guy talking about guns (from a Home defence/ personal protection angle rather then sporting/target shooting) I only found him due to the autoplay list, I was looking for stuff on Greener shotguns :oops: . And I like his humour

He finished one vid with an interesting statement. "Prepare for the most likely events"
He can't understand the kind of people who spend $800 on a handgun and $40 on a box of bullets (which I'm assuming is on the high end).... And won't spend $5 on a packet of batteries for their smoke detectors or $20 for the fire extinguisher that would save their life in a house fire.
Bearing in mind his job and lifestyle I thought that was a refreshing change :)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

New extinguisher for the workshop replacing the old one that must be 15 years old £30 in Lidl 6kg powder

With a much higher extinguishing power than the old one 34a Vs 21a and 224b Vs 144b for the same capacity unit

If those numbers get blank looks it's a set size fire under EN3 regs bigger the number bigger the fire it'll snuff out...

For reference the old standard 9l water jet extinguisher has a rating of 13a

34a fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldtJCcVVYmM&app=desktop

21a fire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHGYio4_tE&app=desktop

244b fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2HsELhME8U&app=desktop

144b fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stpj4HJ_es0&app=desktop
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

You've got to appreciate posts presented with such detail and information. Thanks Y.A. 8-)
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:05 pm You've got to appreciate posts presented with such detail and information. Thanks Y.A. 8-)
I try my best ;)

It's important to understand where your preps will get you and how effective they are be it is the winter coat actually going to be warm enough to will the water filter actually give me enough clean water or will the fire extinguisher actually extinguish what I expect to catch fire
IMG_20191212_201251383.jpg
In the workshop it's a veritable tinder box generator holds 20l of unleaded for a start so a small 1kg powder extinguisher ain't going to cut it (5a 34b)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dWzD1BL0kU&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUmGfEshdfU&app=desktop

I especially like this Lidl extinguisher as it's aluminium (cylinder won't rust) and the levers / pin are a composite material (I've seen pull pins rusted in place)

Smaller extinguishers do have their place but anything sub 2kg or 2L in my eyes is just too small especially in the hands of a novice / someone who had had no fire training
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

A bigger extinguisher in my workshop is needed,for sure.Having used 2 kg dry powder ones on an actual fire,I can confirm that bigger would definitely be better! I will make that happen today. Thanks for that timely post Yorkshire Andy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.