bioethanol fireplace

Homes and Retreats
ForgeCorvus

Re: bioethanol fireplace

Post by ForgeCorvus »

That happened at my old place.
Many years before the council had put a pavement in outside covering over the airbricks causing the joists to rot out, so the previous owner had cast a slab (badly, no DPM and only cinders underneath).
I had to rip the floor up and redo it (as well as getting damp-proofing injected).

Check your air bricks are clear if you haven't already.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:21 pm Very good I'd say it's comparable with a 2kw fan heater if not 3kw probably not the cheapest thing to run but Mrs a gets the fuel with 20% off at work..

Put it in as a emergency heater as in power cut more than anything,
I've not looked too far into this form of heating as we have functional chimneys but i have seen these discussed on another forum and the general concensus seems to be that they make a good emergency prep in that they can be used without a flue and the fuel is easy to store without limits (as far as i can see) to quanity but for day today use they don't make sense when far cheaper electricity is available. How long or often do you use it and is there any way you could heat a kettle or saucepan on the fire , thinking here a power outage situation?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The fuel isn't massively cheap but if our boiler packs up or we get a power cut we can keep warm,

You could boil a pan over it but a trangia and meths is more efficient
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just timed 100ml burning time was just over 20 minutes.

Currently got no carpet curtains or radiator in the living room and it's 0°c outside and I'm sat on the sofa in my base layer thermals (went to Christmas lights switch on on my work clothes as it was bloody cold)
IMG_20191129_225835466_HDR.jpg

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

By way of a comparison the little parabolic gas heater isn't a patch on the ethanol burner even if the reflector is pointing in your direction. .
IMG_20191129_231933688.jpg
And as a "fair test" another 100 ish mill after feeling a chill after the gas parabolic heater struggled to heat the room 10 mins in to another 100ml of ethanol I'm comfortable and warm again
IMG_20191129_234342765.jpg

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

The heat out put seems better than i would have expected if i'm honest. Perhaps because i was assuming these fires were aimed more at the decorative side of the market. 100ml for a 20 minute burn so that should mean something like 2litres over a day assuming you don't need it burning all day long and a quick google shows it at £32 for 12 litres on the dodgy tax avoiding river company so decent enough for emergency or occasional use if not for everyday.