Plastic storage for inside kitchen cupboards?

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Plastic storage for inside kitchen cupboards?

Post by diamond lil »

Recent new kitchen, driving me mad. I have one rotator cuff injury and one arthritic shoulder, and between them my arms are useless. Base unit cupboards are big and deep, going back a long way right into the corners. Currently having to sit on the floor and grubble around in a load of tins until I find what I want. If I stack one layer of tins on top of another then when I'm looking for anything they all fall over and get in a mess.
Anybody suggest any plastic trays or crates so that I could stack tins two layers deep and keep them tidy?
Arzosah

Re: Plastic storage for inside kitchen cupboards?

Post by Arzosah »

A really minimal cost version is the type of crate I use for under the bed, deeper than a normal underbed storage box, 24 litres, this sort of thing, £3 each https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/heidrun-dra ... /p/0448834. I don't have that exact one.

Wickes have some pull out shelves, a set for £40 - they really are compact, 300mm isn't much, but there's a bigger version for £65, which is what I've linked to https://www.wickes.co.uk/Pull-Out-Wire- ... m/p/158520.

The other type is what I got recently, "magic corners" - much more expensive. It sort of wiggles out of the corner cupboard and brings everything right out. It holds 20kg, not bad https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Nuvola- ... m/p/158523. Just seen the website has some on clearance - single tray for £40. Highly recommended! They look wasteful of space, and you *can* fit a few extra rarely used things in, but they're so accessible they make up for it.

My kitchen guy was really reluctant to sell it to me, he tried to sell me another version that had me scrabbling on the floor, exactly as you say. Its not even on the website now, and that was only June.

This is the department link: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Kitch ... perPage=30

The Wilko crates could absolutely do what you want, and I love mine dearly, mine are in rows under a couple of beds upstairs, not in the kitchen, thats all. Good luck with it.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

You can also get rotating shelving to fit 1000 base units, from places like Wicks and B & Q, its basically a half round metal shelving systen to replace the fixed shelf in the unit, it just swings out by pulling it. and their are straight pull out versions as well

https://www.diy.com/departments/kitchen ... 349898.cat
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:41 pm Recent new kitchen, driving me mad. I have one rotator cuff injury and one arthritic shoulder, and between them my arms are useless. Base unit cupboards are big and deep, going back a long way right into the corners. Currently having to sit on the floor and grubble around in a load of tins until I find what I want. If I stack one layer of tins on top of another then when I'm looking for anything they all fall over and get in a mess.
Anybody suggest any plastic trays or crates so that I could stack tins two layers deep and keep them tidy?
Go with what you can afford, there are options plastic crate wise -even lidded ones, however if you can afford it get your kitchen units fitted with that special racking or turntable thing preppergb mentioned, you can get things which pull out and turn the corner of corner units which are far more space efficient ( and dearer) but also just for the depth of other units shelves which pull out, as we get to a certain age this sort of problem doesn't get better, I'm using boxes as the cheaper option, but the weight of them :o you'll have back issues to go with arm issues.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

TY both. I like the turntable idea for one corner, and I like the steel shelves. Also going to Ikea asap to look in there. Will get this sorted :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:57 pm TY both. I like the turntable idea for one corner, and I like the steel shelves. Also going to Ikea asap to look in there. Will get this sorted :mrgreen:
Mind and pop across the road to Costco for a few essentials Lil. :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yep, am up there once a month at least for essential preps.
They have excellent cakes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:00 am Yep, am up there once a month at least for essential preps.
They have excellent cakes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The pizza is surprisingly good too although I think i'd rather cross the road for the meatball and chips. :D