Fried Potatoes Pouch meal From Home Bargain

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Fried Potatoes Pouch meal From Home Bargain

Post by jennyjj01 »

For those looking to augment their food stockpile, I give a shout-out to these from Home Bargain

http://en.grocholl.de/en/product-detail ... 12-111-112
IMG_20191021_204308.jpg
It's just pre-fried waxy potato with a hint of onion. Sold in a boxed foil pouch for (IIRC) 89p
Fries up pretty well with a bit of spam or similar. 2 year shelf life. Compact packaging: Benefits from a sprinkle of herbs.

Adding ten of these to my stash will be ten days I won't have to live off rice, pasta or dried mashed spuds.

I've only ever seen them in Home Bargain. They do a Rosti from the same range in similar packaging.

Try them?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Re: Fried Potatoes Pouch meal From Home Bargain

Post by Deeps »

Those and the rostis are both braw. Our local Home Bargains hasn't had them in for a while so I've run down my stash a bit. The mylar bags mean the 2 year shelf life is a tad conservative.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not got a home bargins near us but do occasionally come across one . What sort of price are these?
Edit , just ignore that , i've just reread and seen the price in jenny's post :oops:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Fantastic meal for those who can have carbs, :(

Great for a cold morning breakfast in the woods, just crack in a couple of eggs. 8-)

I have a stash in my preps for bartering now I suppose :roll:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

I got something almost identical from Tesco, Potato slices and corned beef in a foil pack like the one above
Last edited by preppergb on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:56 am Fantastic meal for those who can have carbs, :(

Great for a cold morning breakfast in the woods, just crack in a couple of eggs. 8-)

Or with a tin of bacon grill and some beans.... or beans and sausages..... or.........

assuming you're allowed carbs of course Pseud.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yummy. I love that combo, and next time I see a Home B I'll pop in.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:56 am Fantastic meal for those who can have carbs, :(

Went to H&B today and emptied the shelf. Got it home and discovered I'd bought the 'With Ham & Onions' variant. Last one was just with onions*.

http://en.grocholl.de/en/products.html

Had it for tea and this time I cooked it longer, with chopped bacon and popped in 2 re-hydrated eggs at the end of cooking. Delish: Tortilla like.
89p per sachet and serves 2.

I reckon the knack with this is to cook it till the potatoes have browned. If you just heat it without browning, it tasted and feels a bit waxy.

* There's not much ham or onions, to be honest.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Excellent. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:42 pm Went to H&B today and emptied the shelf. Got it home and discovered I'd bought the 'With Ham & Onions' variant. Last one was just with onions*.

http://en.grocholl.de/en/products.html

Had it for tea and this time I cooked it longer, with chopped bacon and popped in 2 re-hydrated eggs at the end of cooking. Delish: Tortilla like.
89p per sachet and serves 2.

I reckon the knack with this is to cook it till the potatoes have browned. If you just heat it without browning, it tasted and feels a bit waxy.

* There's not much ham or onions, to be honest.
Yup, while you can just heat them up (stand the mylar bag in boiling water) they're not a patch on giving them a good fry and throwing in some extra bits and bobs. The mylar does give a very long shelf life if that's a concern for you and as you say, the price is pretty good. :D