What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jansman »

No way I would drive through flood water.Quickest way to kill your car.Evidence of that half a dozen times at the end of the village!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

jansman wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:37 am No way I would drive through flood water.Quickest way to kill your car.Evidence of that half a dozen times at the end of the village!
Now Im wondering what [car] peejay has????? ;)
Landy in river.jpg
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Now the flood has receded a little, the tow trucks have been in to tow the knackered vehicles out. Wonder where you stand when you treat your car like a boat?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:57 pm Now the flood has receded a little, the tow trucks have been in to tow the knackered vehicles out. Wonder where you stand when you treat your car like a boat?

If it's avoidable they will not usually pay out,if your street floods and your car gets wet they will pay out,

Biggest issue with most modern cars is the amount of electronics and the low bonnet thus low air intake one gulp of water into the induction system and its bent valves, Conrods and a fubar engine,,. My car is rated at 40cm wading depth the gear box breather is raised and the air intake is high up and the airbox has a diaphragm valve to let water out if a small amount gets in
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

As I thought.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Well, Friday nights have recently become Stash Sample nights. For historical reasons it's a day where I cook for one and he fends for himself.

And tonight was another variation on Spag Bol which is getting better if not sillier. Tonight, I was double caught!

Caught bringing in some dried ingredients from the garage stash: I had to confess to putting some stuff aside for Brexit. Gradually outing myself.
Caught with inexplicable jars upon jars of mysterious dried stuff, littering the kitchen.

But later, he tried some of my Spag Bol ... "OK but Something's missing"
Was it the chicken livers?
Was it the bacon?
Had Ii used cheap mince?

LOL. It was soya mince with shavings of bacon grill. Dried carrots, onion and garlic.

I consider it a big success that it qualified as "OK but Something's missing"...
... I might just add a few kg of frozen chicken livers to the stash. Yes. That's what I'll do! Note to self :)

Really falling in love with TVP, now I'm getting used to it. So cheap. So stashable.
Diet adaptation progressing nicely. Next step switching to occasional home made bread.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
D&DD

Post by D&DD »

Jenny I'm enjoying reading about your escapades with your food storage. :lol:

I've got a lot of similar stuff in my stores so it's interesting to read how you're using it.

Did some more preserving today and made a perfectly edible loaf this week with OOD yeast and bread flour as a test. Thankfully that's the last of it and I'm back on a proper rotation system again now I'm upright!

Need to get a new pair of boots for myself as mine have gone rotten while sat in the shed!!

Just saw an Express headline proclaiming the coldest winter in 70 years so we might get a frost down here.. :lol:
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Checking my EDC car bag. Was at work the other day and we took the kiddies out on a forest walk on the first cold day we've had down here and a colleague had forgotten her gloves so I dug out the spare ones from my car bag. Gave me a good reminder to check the contents for winter bits. Discovered my spare woolly hat was somewhat holey on top - good for ventilation but not for keeping the ole bonce warm!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

Just adding to extra food supplies I have stashed away in a living room cupboard. Probably enough for a couple of weeks at the moment. Plenty of pasta, rice, tinned vegetables, tinned meat and fish, soups, biscuits, etc etc.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Its been a bit of a busy week for me.

Sold some clutter at a local antique place

Acquired a pre-owned shed, going to need to replace a couple of bits of 2x2 but otherwise its sound.

Bought a long extension lead, so now I can have power in my work space without having to connect all the other leads I own together.

I've ordered pasta bolognese from "Summit to Eat", "Bla Band", "Expedition Foods" and "Adventure Food" so I can do a direct comparison of dehydrated 'camping' food (notes to be posted here)...... Any other suggestions to add to the mix ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar