The most unusual thing used as food

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Mad Scientist

Re: The most unusual thing used as food

Post by Mad Scientist »

Now you’re talking! Maybe add some puffball to my pigeon and sausage in red wine and sage gravy. Big chunk of bread and butter...aaah
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Mad Scientist wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:23 am Now you’re talking! Maybe add some puffball to my pigeon and sausage in red wine and sage gravy. Big chunk of bread and butter...aaah
Sounds braw. We're trying to up our 'shroom knowledge, loads of them about where we walk.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Took the dog a walk.Came back with a bagful of blue legs,and parasols.The dampness is making this a good year for mushrooms.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Deeps wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:21 am
Mad Scientist wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:23 am Now you’re talking! Maybe add some puffball to my pigeon and sausage in red wine and sage gravy. Big chunk of bread and butter...aaah
Sounds braw. We're trying to up our 'shroom knowledge, loads of them about where we walk.
Helpful website for fungi
http://www.mycokey.com/newMycoKeySite/M ... Quick.html
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:19 pm
Helpful website for fungi
http://www.mycokey.com/newMycoKeySite/M ... Quick.html
Thanks mate, appreciate it, we've got a few books which we consult and if we're out and see some, take a picture and consult the books. Apart from a small number, we're still a bit fearty to try them. We're slowly building our knowledge though and seeing more that we 'think' would be ok. But.....

We don't want to dick around with 'shrooms for shits and giggles, we're enjoying the learning though. :D
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

It’s tricky identifying sometimes. Remember some features like spots or gills change as a fungus matures, or might get knocked off or eaten by slugs or animals which will affect the ID. The toxins in the most poisonous fungi cannot be destroyed by cooking and destroy your liver in about 3 days. There are loads of fungi you can eat so happy foraging!