Eggsperiment

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Eggsperiment

Post by jennyjj01 »

Wish me luck as I TOFTT

Well, to pay some lip-service to stock rotation, tonight's main meal will comprise scrambled eggs made from the egg powder that has BBE date Dec 2017*

Imodium will be brought out of stash and kept close to hand, just in case.

I'll also be scoffing a good portion of my home grown tiddly tomatoes.

There might be a medical report post follow up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

*Purchased Dec 2016. I intend to re-stock soon.
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Re: Eggsperiment

Post by jennyjj01 »

Well the deed is done. Salmonella test sample now incubating in my tummy.

The eggs I used ( BBE 12/17 ) had been opened about a year ago and though it's advised that they be used up soon after opening, they had been kept in a squeezed ziplock bag in the garage fridge.

No foul smell, just a bit 'eggy' No obvious decay or excessive clumping.

So I made up the equivalent of about 3 eggs *. Added a splash of milk, some Flora spread and a sprinkle of black pepper. Nuked for 1 minute. Whipped with a fork and nuked for another minute. It seemed that I'd made it too runny so I drained it a bit and tossed it about in a frying pan. No obvious badness, but it was a bit grey, but that's the same as last time I used it.

Served up with a big handful of my tiny tomatoes, some fried mushrooms, Stockpile Beans and some bacon. A nice addition was one of the 4 baps that were discounted to 6p at Morrisons. No brown sauce.

If I survive 24 hours, I'll eggsperiment further by making an omelette and if I survive that, then I'll try some raw.**

* In for a penny : In for a pound
** Or is it 5h1t or bust
:)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Well done you! I hope you have a peaceful night :)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

hmmmmm.
2 hours in...
Not allowed to go to bed yet as I'm a bit Jenny Fart-pants : Nothing unusual about that : Must have been the beans and mushrooms :)

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:15 pm hmmmmm.
2 hours in...
Not allowed to go to bed yet as I'm a bit Jenny Fart-pants : Nothing unusual about that : Must have been the beans and mushrooms :)
Good luck, let us know how you're feeling tomorrow....
jansman

Post by jansman »

Joking aside,if you are using a dehydrated product,you will be fine.The only thing that may suffer is the nutritional value,and more importantly the product quality/ colour and general structure.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:28 pm If I survive 24 hours, I'll eggsperiment further by making an omelette and if I survive that, then I'll try some raw.**

* In for a penny : In for a pound
** Or is it 5h1t or bust
:)
OK. Got up this morning feeling fine. So far - So good
On to phase 2.

I just cooked and ate a 3 egg omelette with just a bit of bacon and brown sauce + my 1 1/2 pence out of date bread roll.

It was pretty darned good. The eggs, both before and after cooking were not as yellow as fresh eggs and cooked consistency was a bit crumbly.

If I were to quantify the deterioration of the eggs, I'd say it was generally about 20 - 25% under par compared to fresh eggs. From memory, I'd guestimate it was about 10% under par when it was new. Perfectly acceptable to me.

So long as I suffer no ill effects*, I will consider this a good product and will buy a few more kilos more at £11 per 900g (about 75 eggs equivalent.)
I do plan to progressively and aggressively use up what I have now, because I'd only want to keep it another year at most.
I will be vac packing into smaller quantities.

If I'm still ok, tonight I'll go for the ultimate test. Eating 3 raw with a bit of milk.

*None so far, beyond the expected :)

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:27 am Joking aside,if you are using a dehydrated product,you will be fine.The only thing that may suffer is the nutritional value,and more importantly the product quality/ colour and general structure.
I can confirm that after two days of eating substantial amounts of reconstituted powdered egg BBE 2017, that I suffered no attributable ill effects. A little flatulence after the first meal of egg, mushrooms and baked beans, but well within normal expecations.

[tmi]Toilet events perfectly normal :) :roll: [/tmi]

I do think there's noticeable deterioration in texture, colour and flavour of the eggs :), but perfectly acceptable.

I'm glad I tested the product this way, albeit at some risk. Success!

I'll be ordering another load of the stuff at the reasonable price of £11 per 900g.

My remaining stock will be put into more aggressive regular diet plan with a view to using it up within the next 12 to 18 months

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good to know. So if thats around 70 eggs, thats about .... 92p per half dozen? I always have trouble with that sort of calculation.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 am Good to know. So if thats around 70 eggs, thats about .... 92p per half dozen? I always have trouble with that sort of calculation.
Or almost eggsactly twice the price of fresh eggs from ALDI
https://www.aldi.co.uk/everyday-essenti ... 7249390400

I consider that pretty good value