Food in your emergency bag

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Food in your emergency bag

Post by jansman »

A book: Now there is a prep.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I must admit that nowadays i rarely keep anything in the van . I did used to keep a few tins of food along with drinks and a small gas stove but it never got used and besides nowadays in normal day to day life i'm rarely more than 15 miles from home . I usually have water but that's about it , a day of hunger isn't going to give me lasting harm. If i'm going to a re-enactment i normally have enough food to feed a dozen or more people for a weekend and on the way back there's normally bread , cheese and fruit that's left over. If we are going on a trip somewhere my wife normally makes up sandwiches , tea and the like.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:52 pm
I have a plastic cup in there. I have shoved in tea bags, dried soup ,pepperami, and a microwave vegetable rice, which I could boil in the bag to warm it up.

As Arzosah says, it IS an individual thing. It’s not something that was at the top of my list until yesterday, when I wanted some halfway decent grub. Incidentally, walking down the food aisle in Home Bargains there is a good range of ready to eat ‘lunchtime ‘ foods but they all seem to contain bl@@dy tuna !
Totally, as we've discussed before, my bag might have to keep me going for a couple of days if I end up having to walk from my mum's to mine which is generally the worst case I take it for. If like today I was at football I would have to be a bit more 'creative' about getting home as I can't take my bag everywhere.

Another option is to decant a pot noodle or similar into a wee container, breaking some of the noodles down, same with the cheap packet noodles, especially if you have some dehydrated veg to toss in, if you've got a stove then you can get some relatively tasty carbs down you.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I suffer with reflux so I graze all day long.. I've usually got a few packs of biscuits in the car and at work ..

Latest big spend.
IMG_20190907_143043565.jpg
Give it a month or 2 they are going on
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

Having recently moved from a town centre with 3 mile commute to a semi-rural location 26 miles away I think I might be investing in some winter tyres myself this year, especially as we have a very steep driveway to add to the interest. Currently thinking about what I want in a winter GHB/Car bag.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Lots of grains-in-pouches, fruit-in-pouches purees, and so on around, can be eaten cold. Cans of coffee. Peperami or kabanos. Fruit bars. Tins of rice pudding. Dehydrated fruit. Bags of nuts. GORP.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

featherstick wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:20 pm Lots of grains-in-pouches, fruit-in-pouches purees, and so on around, can be eaten cold. Cans of coffee. Peperami or kabanos. Fruit bars. Tins of rice pudding. Dehydrated fruit. Bags of nuts. GORP.
One thing to bear in mind with the fruit purees and other high fibre stuff is that if your body isn't used to it, it will go through you like an Exocet so maybe worth having some extra tissues or the like. :o

Immodium is something else to have handy maybe.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Yep good point Deeps.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Cans on tuna in oil, you can cook it in the can with oil.

https://youtu.be/TgDaBZqVb18
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Captain Darling wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:35 pm Cans on tuna in oil, you can cook it in the can with oil.

https://youtu.be/TgDaBZqVb18
Interesting vid Captain, I don't use the 'in oil' tuna so not for this cat. Its another 'good to know' though. Its also made me think I could use tuna in my GHB, high in protein etc.