Travel preps

How are you preparing
korolev

Travel preps

Post by korolev »

On tuesday we flew to Greece for a bit of sun; unfortunately we got caught up in the Gatwick baggage problems (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-49565297) and out suitcase didn't get put on the plane.

When we got to Greece we waited for our case to come through but, along with about 20 others, it didn't show. One of the baggage staff told us about the problem at Gatwick and took all our details.

Fortunately we had hand luggage, including the wife's little wheely case that goes on as hand luggage and we had managed to a couple of days worth of pants/shirts into it, as well as swim stuff and shoes. We were also lucky in that we know the lady who runs it very well and she loaned us a couple of towels for round the pool so all we had to buy was soap, shampoo, toothbrushes and sun cream. Bloke next door lent me a pair of flip flops too :-D

Learned a couple of lessons though : put flipflops in hand luggage and spare shoes in suitcase.

I was amazed that one couple at the airport said "But my epilepsy medicine is in that case" and people on twitter were saying they had nothing to wear at all.
jansman

Re: Travel preps

Post by jansman »

That is ace! A bit of forward planning works wonders.I'll bet you have learnt a trick or two.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Hope it didn't ruin your holiday mate. It's only happened to us once and it was a short trip to Berlin so we bought a few pairs of knicks/socks/T shirts to keep us going. The airline gave us wash kit and a few bits and bobs as it was their mistake. I've still got the Deuter rucksack I 'had' to buy so we could take stuff with us as we cut about town. As long as you've got your phone (and charger), cash/cards etc then you can usually get by.
Last edited by Deeps on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My brother and his girlfriend at that time, did a two year trip to every country in South America. They took only ‘carry- on’ luggage. Meant they swept smoothly through airports.

An old mate of mine used to dress in shorts, t shirt and flip flops, put cash , card and passport in his pocket and walk on to the plane and walk off. He would buy necessary clothing whilst there, and upon leaving, dump it and come home.

Robert Frost.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

It's actually the second time it's happened to us, same airline and apartments too ! The first time wasn't so bad as we had two cases and had split everything between the two.
We only took one this time but I reckon we can get it down to just carry-ons; I'll have to forego taking a leatherman and the Mrs will have to manage with less that ten pairs of shorts.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Well done korolev! A lot of regular travellers seem to make do with carry on only - as I travel more, I'm definitely going to do the same.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:24 am Well done korolev! A lot of regular travellers seem to make do with carry on only - as I travel more, I'm definitely going to do the same.
The problem with only hand luggage is you're limited to what you can take. I even had a wallet ninja confiscated as they're no longer allowed.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Deeps wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:57 am
Arzosah wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:24 am Well done korolev! A lot of regular travellers seem to make do with carry on only - as I travel more, I'm definitely going to do the same.
The problem with only hand luggage is you're limited to what you can take. I even had a wallet ninja confiscated as they're no longer allowed.
They seem to have relaxed the rules around blades, seems you can take a penknife if its under 6cm. I have a SAK classic on my keychain, one of the small ones with a 4 cm blade, scissors and file. That's gone through ok in hand luggage in my last few trips.
I reckon I could get enough for a week in the carry on, any longer and I'll wash stuff out (probably spend less time doing that than standing in bag drop queues).

When I get home I'm going to pare down my carry-on even more and see how little I can manage with :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

I think it’s a case of ( if you want them) buying restricted items when you get there. Then chuck ‘em when you come home.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:09 pm I think it’s a case of ( if you want them) buying restricted items when you get there. Then chuck ‘em when you come home.
Or post them to yourself if they've valuable enough.
korolev wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:53 pm
They seem to have relaxed the rules around blades, seems you can take a penknife if its under 6cm. I have a SAK classic on my keychain, one of the small ones with a 4 cm blade, scissors and file. That's gone through ok in hand luggage in my last few trips.
I reckon I could get enough for a week in the carry on, any longer and I'll wash stuff out (probably spend less time doing that than standing in bag drop queues).

When I get home I'm going to pare down my carry-on even more and see how little I can manage with :D
I got my wallet ninja taken off me a couple months back for a flight from Edinburgh to Birmingham. Maybe different airports have different ideas ????